Not sure how i feel.

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
Well I have been wearing diapers outside the house for awhile. I thought it was just for being functionally incontinent. Well I somehow actually incontinent with OAB I guess. I am on medication for it but to no avail it doesn't seem to be helping. The next step is back to the urology doctor. Can't afford it. I guess they will work with me.
I am not quite sure why but I was taking my diaper off. As soon as I took it off I started to go. I cleaned myself up. Got done and still went a little more and when I thought I was done even more.
I found myself almost in tears. I guess because I am afraid that it has something to do with my CP. I have made it 30+ years without having to use diapers now in my mid 40's having to deal with this again. Blah

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, GeorgeG, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Im not sure how much it costs to see a urologist
but diaper costs really add up over the months and years too unfortunately 🙁

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
Insurance isn't cheap. But with Obama care (Affordable Care Act with the market insurance), if you don't have enough income, they help with you. If your income is so low you can use Medicaid.

Reactions: Diprs2
Obama Care is worse than my insurance may not cost much but you get what you pay for. Your out of pocket expenses are higher. My income is to high for medicade. I am one of those who fall in the cracks. Good insurance is to expensive mid level is cheaper but offers coverage with high deductibles. Which is me.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, EcoIncon and 1 other person
I take it that you are female, if so have you had children. If so you might check with an OB/GYN to make sure all is well there.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
greatlake5 said:
Insurance isn't cheap. But with Obama care (Affordable Care Act with the market insurance), if you don't have enough income, they help with you. If your income is so low you can use Medicaid
Obama care??????? here is an idea.... Lets take people that cant afford or just do not need or want insurance and charge them a fine for not having it. They should of set amounts that insurance and hospitals are aloud to charge to anyone insured or not for certain procedures. Not fine the people that cant afford it into to taking even a more shity insurance that limits who the see even more. But I am going to shut up before I offend someone for having the right to disagree with stupidity. All I know is they could of done 100k things different and better.

I will agree it is cheaper to go get seen than commit to a life in diapers. $250 a month and they only keep going up. And as one disabled on a limited fixed income for life Medicare could give a flying fuck if I have the diapers I need to live life of not. I will not get into my thoughts on medicaid. Of anything else on the topic as I do not want to get flagged. But our healthcare system and medicaid/ medicare sucks in general.

• Wow
Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
lilshelly said:
Obama Care is worse than my insurance may not cost much but you get what you pay for. Your out of pocket expenses are higher. My income is to high for medicade. I am one of those who fall in the cracks. Good insurance is to expensive mid level is cheaper but offers coverage with high deductibles. Which is me.

Medicaid is a joke. I am sorry have fallen into the pit falls. I had best leave it at that. Lol my name is going to end up yellow if I do not move away from this thread. But do try to get seen. It can be as simple as a medication you are on to much worse. IC is a symptom not a disease if your body is telling you something get it checked. Be glad we live in a time with great products and know you are not alone. Best of luck.

Reactions: Zeke, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
Whenever I see posts like this it always makes me wince a bit. Living in the UK we have the NHS (National Health Service) which is for most things free. It is not perfect by any means but we do not have to think about having to pay huge amounts of money for things like calling an ambulance or seeing a doctor. Now I am of a certain age any prescription medication is also free.

Reactions: flybaby and Diprs2
lilshelly said:
Well I have been wearing diapers outside the house for awhile. I thought it was just for being functionally incontinent. Well I somehow actually incontinent with OAB I guess. I am on medication for it but to no avail it doesn't seem to be helping. The next step is back to the urology doctor. Can't afford it. I guess they will work with me.
I am not quite sure why but I was taking my diaper off. As soon as I took it off I started to go. I cleaned myself up. Got done and still went a little more and when I thought I was done even more.
I found myself almost in tears. I guess because I am afraid that it has something to do with my CP. I have made it 30+ years without having to use diapers now in my mid 40's having to deal with this again. Blah
So sorry you are dealing with this. Incontinence sucks. I hope you're able to find a way to see urology. I know it costs money but probably can save money and mental anguish in the long term... Something like a cystoscopy is not terribly expensive and can rule out a lot of insidious causes.

I had to see urology one year where I had a horrible insurance plan that was a bridge between jobs. I let the urologist know about my financial constraints and they did a cystoscopy they only charged me for the consumables associated with that. I was deeply grateful. People can be amazing.

• Love
Reactions: Joeysms, GeorgeG, Diprs2 and 2 others
EcoIncon said:
So sorry you are dealing with this. Incontinence sucks. I hope you're able to find a way to see urology. I know it costs money but probably canhen I save money and mental anguish in the long term... Something like a cystoscopy is not terribly expensive and can rule out a lot of insidious causes.

I had to see urology one year where I had a horrible insurance plan that was a bridge between jobs. I let the urologist know about my financial constraints and they did a cystoscopy they only charged me for the consumables associated with that. I was deeply grateful. People can be amazing.
Every now and again you find a doctor with a heart. It is rare but it does happen. I had to have my teeth out this year and the dentist wrote off about $1600 not covered by insurance. Good people do still exist. I love my family doctor too. He is the greatest. he always makes time and he calls me and checks on me himself. When I was getting on my disability and had no insurance he would see me for 20 bucks and he always gave me sample meds he would save up for me because one of my meds was a couple hundred bucks. You can tell he loves his job and is in it for the right reasons. He gets up and is at the hospital by 5 am then he sees patients until 8am. He goes to clinic across the street until noon. Then he is back at the hospital until 1:30 and he goes back to clinic. Then he comes back to the hospital around 6:30 and stays on the floor until 10pm and then does it every day. I have been in and out of the hospital a lot the last 6 or 7 years. He is the real deal. But sadly most are in it for the money and just run you through the clinic like cattle.

• Love
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and EcoIncon
Diaperman95 said:
Every now and again you find a doctor with a heart. It is rare but it does happen. most are in it for the money and just run you through the clinic like cattle.
I see my doctor once a year. He sits with me for almost an hour when it should probably take 15 minutes. In my opinion, he's golden. Sure, there are "money grubbing" doctors but it's everywhere. Not just business. But...I have a cousin who has just finished his last year of medical school. He was hired quickly (small town) and works at a hospital where he's an intern. He's finally making some income but not as a resident. It will take years to pay back for all his tuition. His debt is huge (almost 250k). He's not a money grubber. And as an intern he works 70 hours a week. And remember that not all of these doctors are running a cattle clinic.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and EcoIncon
[QUOTE="greatlake5, post: 2455799, member: 59350"
I see my doctor once a year. He sits with me for almost an hour when it should probably take 15 minutes. In my opinion, he's golden. Sure, there are "money grubbing" doctors but it's everywhere. Not just business. But...I have a cousin who has just finished his last year of medical school. He was hired quickly (small town) and works at a hospital where he's an intern. He's finally making some income but not as a resident. It will take years to pay back for all his tuition. His debt is huge (almost 250k). He's not a money grubber. And as an intern he works 70 hours a week. And remember that not all of these doctors are running a cattle clinic.
[/QUOTE]
I am not saying all of them are running a cattle clinic. I have a couple doctors I love. I am saying most of them are in it for the money. I haveo to many years of being in bad health and seen way to many money grubbing doctors in my life. The asshole that replaced my hip for instance. I have been to his office 20 plus times or so in the last 2 years. I met him once. The day he did my surgery. Otherwise I see one of his 3 PAs. He does 8 surgeries a day 5 days a week. Nothing but knees and hips that is 2,080 surgeries a year. Mine got all messed up did not heal right and I cant get no answers other than do more PT.

Many of them start out with great intentions but most of them forget why they started doing it and they just do not care when they get a person with a lot of health issues. I cant tell you the number of neurologist and rheumatologist I have seen that looked at me 5 min and said nope I can't help you. The two keep saying to me it is the others problem. Neurology tells to see rhemo and the other way around. It only takes about 9 months to get into one of these guys and then they look at you once and tell you go see this person and it takes another 9 months. Or they want to you every month and don't ever do shit to help.

Either way It normally takes a lot of work to find a good doctor. I stopped letting them push me off on shit doctors. I look up google reviews and if they are not caring and have a good bedside manor I refuse to see them. Look up doctors in your area on google. I bet you find more 2 and 3 stars than 5 stars reviews. I am not talking about people with reviews bitching about the doctor running late or he wont give me pain meds blah blah. The last Neuro I seen cut me off mid conversation of giving him my symptoms. He told me to walk across the room and said well your gate looks fine it is not parkinsons or anything neuro. He spent 5 min and refer's me to do a cognitive exam. That was Aug and I still have not had the exam. He refused to see me again until I got the exam. It is next month some time and that is the soonest they say they could get me in. So I had my rhemo that I finally found that I like and treats me like a human refer me to OU Neuro. it is on the 4th next month. I pray to God they try to figure some shit out before I die or am so crippled I cant do anything.

So to rant I just have seen to many assholes in my life. I am glad you found a good doctor that you trust and will spend time. Most give you about 5 min. I even seen one once that had a sign posted in his office that he will only address one issue per visit and will not spend more than 10 min.. in order to be fair that everyone gets seen on time. I don't give a shit if the doctor is running an hour late as long as he is respectful and compassionate. I know there are many great doctors but it should not be so hard to find good ones. If you are healthy and fit any doctor can be a good one because you require little help. But when you have complex health issues and a hard case you sure can see them for what they are. It is not like I am just going and bitching about made up shit. I have been hospitalized 3 times this year already. I have a blood infection ATM that keeps popping back up. I am on IV antibiotics every day for the last month. I have Idiopathic Gastroparesis. Meaning I for sure do have it but they have no clue why because normally only diabetics get it. My joints are all falling apart and stiff and ate up. I counted the other day I am just shy of 20 surgeries I have had in my life. Like real surgeries not just having a scope done or something. I did not mean to unload all my health issues but I just wanted you to see I do have a perspective that many do not have. I did not just want to say I disagree without you understanding some of why. Our health care in this country could be so much better. It is funded on pure greed from insurance to doctors to hospitals and certainly big pharma. Don't get me going on big pharma. Lol

I bet your cousin will be a great doctor. I know it cost a lot to go to med school and it is a lot of hard work to become a doctor. But it seams like many of them think they should be able to pay off their education the first year as a doctor.

You have a great evening Greatlake5.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Diprs2
Diaperman95 said:
I did not mean to unload all my health issues but I just wanted you to see I do have a perspective that many do not have. I am glad you found a good doctor that trust and will spend time.
I do understand your perspective (and your experiences). I know that there will always be problems, especially when you have chronic medical issues. I think there are larger difficulties when almost everyone has to deal with insurance. I'm glad I have great coverage. When I was younger
(like 3 to 12 years old) it felt like I was going to the doctors every month. By the time I was 16 my health stabled so I didn't have to see them all the time. By then I only had to see him 2 or 3 times a year. I do see my therapist (she is a new one after seeing the last one for almost 25 years - she retired). I only see her once a month and again, I have great coverage.

With the problems with your internists, surgeons and other physical therapists along with your complicated medical issues, no reason why you're unhappy (and in pain). Jesus Christ, I hope I never get old.

I haven't seen the original poster's medical problems specifically. He writes that he has OAB and some sort of CP. And obviously he has some burdensome funding difficulty. Which complicates everything. I know it's easy to simply say to wear a diaper. I've always been IC so I haven't had to transition or adjust from newer IC people experiencing. I'm sorry but I don't have any suggestions to give him. All I can say is that ADISC is a good place for advice and support.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2 and Diaperman95
greatlake5 said:
By the time I was 16 my health stabled so I didn't have to see them all the time. By then I only had to see him 2 or 3 times a year. I do see my therapist (she is a new one after seeing the last one for almost 25 years - she retired). I only see her once a month and again, I have great coverage.
Hopefully time remains kinder to you when you age. When I was young, I "didn't need no stinkin' doctor".

As may age rolled into my 40s to 60s, the number of appointments and medications has multiplied substantially. I now need google Calendar to just to keep track of all of our appointments. It's a rare "happy week" when we don't have appointments at all!

• Sad
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
greatlake5 said:
I do understand your perspective (and your experiences). I know that there will always be problems, especially when you have chronic medical issues. I think there are larger difficulties when almost everyone has to deal with insurance. I'm glad I have great coverage. When I was younger
(like 3 to 12 years old) it felt like I was going to the doctors every month. By the time I was 16 my health stabled so I didn't have to see them all the time. By then I only had to see him 2 or 3 times a year. I do see my therapist (she is a new one after seeing the last one for almost 25 years - she retired). I only see her once a month and again, I have great coverage.

With the problems with your internists, surgeons and other physical therapists along with your complicated medical issues, no reason why you're unhappy (and in pain). Jesus Christ, I hope I never get old.

I haven't seen the original poster's medical problems specifically. He writes that he has OAB and some sort of CP. And obviously he has some burdensome funding difficulty. Which complicates everything. I know it's easy to simply say to wear a diaper. I've always been IC so I haven't had to transition or adjust from newer IC people experiencing. I'm sorry but I don't have any suggestions to give him. All I can say is that ADISC is a good place for advice and support.
slimjiminy said:
Hopefully time remains kinder to you when you age. When I was young, I "didn't need no stinkin' doctor".

As may age rolled into my 40s to 60s, the number of appointments and medications has multiplied substantially. I now need google Calendar to just to keep track of all of our appointments. It's a rare "happy week" when we don't have appointments at all!

The sad think is I am only 48. I don't know if I will ever see 60. All I can say is.. young healthy people do not take it for granted and be kind to your body. It is the only one you get!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Diprs2, slimjiminy and 1 other person
Wow! I am Retired Military, so I have what is called TriCare and I am Civilian Retired just turned 69 Friday, so I have Medicare if one does not cover all the other picks, it up and pays what is left. But it has to be prescribed by my GP.🤨 I went through all the tests for my Incontinence and all they can tell me is I am OAB IC.o_O We can do this or that or take Pills.(n) I said No to the Drugs after reading what was said here and other Incontinent sites.🤨 I wear diapers and plastic pants and have moved on with my life as best as I am watching how my body is acting when out and about.🥹 I am lucky not embarrassed by public issues I know it will happen sometime in the future and we will deal with it when it happens. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
fredy552 said:
Wow! I am Retired Military, so I have what is called TriCare and I am Civilian Retired just turned 69 Friday, so I have Medicare if one does not cover all the other picks, it up and pays what is left. But it has to be prescribed by my GP.🤨 I went through all the tests for my Incontinence and all they can tell me is I am OAB IC.o_O We can do this or that or take Pills.(n) I said No to the Drugs after reading what was said here and other Incontinent sites.🤨 I wear diapers and plastic pants and have moved on with my life as best as I am watching how my body is acting when out and about.🥹 I am lucky not embarrassed by public issues I know it will happen sometime in the future and we will deal with it when it happens. :rolleyes:
Thank you for your service to our country sir. I agree there comes a time you have to suck it up and say this is now life and move on. I just encourage people to make sure they are truly at that stage of life. Because for many people being IC is a huge deal and cost a lot. Often times it is caused by something very treatable.

I am blessed to have a good Medicare advantage plan. It pays the doctors and scripts pretty much, but it lacks on buying diapers. It will pay for catheters though. But quality diapers are priced just out ragouse too. I do use a straight cath before bed or after my shower and the insurance pay for those, in fact it pays more for a case of those than my 80 mega max cost a month. ALL Insurance should be forced to cover diapers. Not just a couple brands either. They should give us a monthly allowance to spend on such things and let us choice what we want.
But I don't make the rules!!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
health care and insurance issues those are decade long debates. i have been very blessed throughout my life to have quality health care insurance. having good doctors and health care is very important for many reasons. early findings of whatever is going on with your body is best. i wish i had a magic wand to fix these two industries which is sad that basic human services/care are classified as industries (money makers). everyone should have proper access to health care. there was a brief time period long ago when i struggled with health insurance and had to make hard decisions. i spoke with my doctors all of whom were willing to help if they could with reduced cost and directing me to programs that offered assistance every bit helped. my dentist still discounts me for being direct pay (no insurance) he is great. my one doctor got me covered for six months regarding his services, medications, and lab work until i got back on insurance. speak with the financial office of a hospital for assistance programs. there are also low cost or free clinics and yes there are many people crowded into the clinics so that can be an entire day spend there, however your health is important. don't be afraid to ask for help and questions. one is no worse off from asking. and none of this is easy to navigate. best of luck

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95, EcoIncon and PadPhilosopher
Back