Poll Time: For those with Coffee problems resulting in IC / GI

For those with IC / GI coffee problems, do you:

• Quit consuming coffee completely?

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Mostly quit consuming coffee?

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Continue to enjoy coffee at home?

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Refuse to quit coffee and suffer the consequences?

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
This poll is for those that have gastro intestinal or IC related issues related to coffee.

Today after a long spell (6+ months) of quitting coffee to avoid urgent diarrhea and associated U-IC issues, I decided to retest my self imposed boycott of coffee. About two hours after having a cup, I was reminded of the urgent need for the toilet, for urgent diarrhea (I was at home). So, the problem remains "real" for me.

When eating out, I am often offered/suggested coffee. Partly because people who know me, know that I love coffee, they are surprised to learn that I have quit it. I can have tea instead but that can cause U-IC issues a couple hours later. But tea often gets me through the dining at least.

If you have coffee issues, how have you dealt with it?

Reactions: Edgewater, artemisenterri and Lethdale
Didn't stop. Love it. I don't have IBS, Crohn's or Colitis. I haven't had loose stool (diarrhea) for quite a while. Better than half of BM's happen while sleeping. But the effects of coffee sometimes give me strong urges and usually I end up having another BM in the morning. Latter in the day, I'll have another cup of coffee in the afternoon. No problems.

Reactions: Edgewater
I’ve had IBS all my life and coffee is one of the many things that activates it. It’s the caffeine in it. I just stay away from the stuff. It’s not just the loose stools and urgency for me, I have those all the time, it’s the abdominal pain. Pain is an effective motivator.

Reactions: Edgewater, artemisenterri and slimjiminy
After the Continence nurse told me about the caffeine irritating my bladder she recommended decaffeinated coffee and it has worked well.

slimjiminy said:
This poll is for those that have gastro intestinal or IC related issues related to coffee.

Today after a long spell (6+ months) of quitting coffee to avoid urgent diarrhea and associated U-IC issues, I decided to retest my self imposed boycott of coffee. About two hours after having a cup, I was reminded of the urgent need for the toilet, for urgent diarrhea (I was at home). So, the problem remains "real" for me.

When eating out, I am often offered/suggested coffee. Partly because people who know me, know that I love coffee, they are surprised to learn that I have quit it. I can have tea instead but that can cause U-IC issues a couple hours later. But tea often gets me through the dining at least.

If you have coffee issues, how have you dealt with it?
I quit the drinking of coffee habitually on the advice of my doctor vis-a-vis my high blood pressure but, should I ever sneak in a cheeky coffee in during the day, I find it's not helpful regarding my urge incontinence.
Consequently, I only drink it as an occasional treat now.

Reactions: Edgewater and slimjiminy
I have one cup in the morning and occasionally a cold brew in the afternoon. Acid, released by heating the beans, in regular coffee is the big reason for an upset stomach/gi system. I can drink cold brew without the effects of hot coffee. Don't be fooled by ice coffee, it has to be cold brewed. They do sell low acid coffee too.

Reactions: Lethdale
I am recently new to coffee (I'm a teadrinker)

It plays havoc with my body and I always end up with.. well, a diaper that I'm really not proud of.

I don't really drink it at home. I stick to my tea, and I don't have a problem usually (when I do, it's only small)

I will drink coffee if I'm offered. Simply put, it's rude to refuse I think

Reactions: EcoIncon and Edgewater
I just drink tea and coffee as I want. If it makes my incontinence and nightly bedwetting worse so be it. I wear nappies all the time so it isn't a problem.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater, Constantlydamp and Lethdale
I have severe IBS and urinary IC and extremely poor control due to pelvic floor and nerve issues.... I quit coffee because it really set of my IBS and irritated my bladder. It was like within mere minutes of consuming it my guts would start churning and trying to hold it was more painful by the second... As my conditions have progressed I have been in diapers 24-7 for over 3 years, I have been in and out of diapers for almost 20 years due to various health issues and injuries. Long story short these days everything goes into my diaper for the most part regardless of what I want. Well I started drinking coffee again because I love it and what I have noticed is simply don't fight it and just let it out, it doesn't hurt at all ....yeah drinking coffee basically means a messy diaper but I don't care anymore. I'm done letting my ic control me. I'm in diapers and I'm going to live my life and enjoy the things I want to even if it means extra changes.I quit coffee and fried foods and coke and various other things because they caused accidents and I was stuck in the mind set of trying to make it to the bathroom and when I wouldn't make it I would get frustrated and upset and beat myself up. I'm to the point now ... finally... That I for the most part don't care either way. Don't know if that makes me sound odd or weak or gross but I am much happier and mentally healthy now.

Last edited:
I don’t have any health issues that I’m aware of, but I’ve noticed that any time I drink coffee (I have to drink decaf now bc I can’t do the caffeine lol) it will always make my tummy hurt a little later and I have to suddenly go to the bathroom. Luckily 99% of the time I’m in a diaper anyway, but it still kind of sucks :/ Especially the tummy pain.. I’m not sure why this happens though- it used to all the time when I would drink regular coffee a few years ago, but I thought it was just the caffeine, not sure why it happens with decaf lol I guess decaf still does have a small amount of caffeine.

I’ve also noticed this happens with soda too! Especially dark soda like root beer or Coke. Anyone have any ideas why? Again, I only drink the caffeine-free soda too.

I love my coffee, and it loves me. Also, I get a three day headache if I DON'T get my fix. Well, this week I'm in the UK where coffee isn't as plentiful. Even my AA meetings seem to have tea, or instant coffee. But not the Real Thing. I'm learning to tolerate tea.

• Wow
Reactions: theancientmariner and Edgewater
AlwaysPissed said:
I love my coffee, and it loves me. Also, I get a three day headache if I DON'T get my fix. Well, this week I'm in the UK where coffee isn't as plentiful. Even my AA meetings seem to have tea, or instant coffee. But not the Real Thing. I'm learning to tolerate tea.
😱😱😱

Coffee, whether hot or as a chilled "frap" drink, always leads to "quality time on the porcelain chair" for me...

I was never officially diagnosed with IBS, but I swear I go from IBS-C to IBS-D and back again over the course of around 10 days or so... I deal with several days of constipation, several days of "normal" solid bm's, then several days of gooey soft mess (including the occasional almost "pure" watery diarrhea), then back again, like a pendulum... The worst time for it to happen is while I'm at work, particularly if I'm working solo (which is almost 90% of my work week, since our corporate overlords don't think we need enough hours to schedule two people on duty all day every day)...

Without coffee I wouldn't be able to function. My diaper will just have to handle whatever comes it's way.

Reactions: rawrsaso, theancientmariner, Edgewater and 1 other person
I'm posting this in case anyone missed it. Try low acid coffee or cold brew. Heating the beans creates the acid that tears alit of people up.

Don't touch coffee anymore as it completely upsets my whole system

If I have only one coffee in a day, it's not problem with IBS, but I have to have it after lunch or afternoon, morning coffee is risky.

Reactions: slimjiminy and Edgewater
Was never a big coffee drinker, but was told that coffee should be avoided by my Doctor!
Now, maybe one cup a year.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
Being as I like coffee so much I just suffer the consequences it gives my bladder and that's what Nappies are for.
Also a strong coffee first thing in the morning clears out the #2 system leaving me fairly sure of a good day not being bothered by #2 again.
I still have to be very aware of not holding my pee as that can induce a #2 out of nowhere.

I love coffee, I have a really good grinder and a French press and I buy my stuff whole bean and from certain countries of the world that I like specifically. That’s how intense I take my coffee drinking experience. Over the past few years though I’ve learned to limit my coffee intake because of heartburn and also possible accident issues. Not necessarily only caused by the coffee. In more recent years though, definitely the diabetes meds are more of a thing that causes me accidents, so if I’m gonna be on things like Ozempic that caused me possible bowel accidents, and other things that caused me to wet my diaper quite a few times in a day I don’t see the point in giving up the coffee, but only doing minor adjustments to make it more enjoyable on a regular basis.

Reactions: EcoIncon
Back