Is there an effective way to fold or roll up a used diaper?

Nova95

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
I’ve been struggling to find a correct way to ball them up ready to be tossed. Could use an image or video guide.

I just roll them up from front to back a dense as possible.
Same with the tapes, as far as i can stretch it.
I would be curious if there are better ways of doing this though.

same as above. I usually take my nappy off in the bathroom and lay it in the bath. then roll it up tight like a sausage. then I pull the ends in and hold it all together using the tapes.

Lay your used Nappy on a flat surface with the top tapes at the furthest point then fold in the wings nearest to you (what was the front) and roll the Nappy up as tightly as you can, once you get it into a roll you should have the two rear wings sticking out of either end, holding the roll pull down the top wing tight and secure the tabs down at the base then repeat that for the tabs that are hanging down, lift them up and pull them over to the top or ever over the top and firmly secure them.
You should then have the perfectly contained sausage roll Nappy

Reactions: Belarin and KBoy
I usually tightly roll my used nappies up and then use the winged tapes to tape 'into itself'. Works pretty well most of the time, I do find that the 'velcro style' (hook and loop) tapes aren't great at sticking to an area of the nappy that isn't designed to be taped though.

I find doing this helps with odour elimination, as well as compacting the nappies more neatly for disposal purposes.

Yeah sam here: I fold in the front wings, roll it up front to back as tight as possible and then fold over the rear wings and tape it up.

i use the plastic grocery bags for tying up my diapers, my wife's pull ups roll up nicely enough without extra bagging

I don't think there's really any "Correct" way, though what I've found most odd was Hook and Loop diapers that don't have a Cloth backing for the Tabs to adhere to when you dispose of the diaper.

Because they only have it placed on the Landing zone, always had to Tie up the used diaper in an odd manner.

Though, I suppose once it's in a Bag and that's Tied. It doesn't matter (unless it's just a Wet diaper, then I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as it's tossed in the right place)

MrBingston said:
I don't think there's really any "Correct" way, though what I've found most odd was Hook and Loop diapers that don't have a Cloth backing for the Tabs to adhere to when you dispose of the diaper.

Because they only have it placed on the Landing zone, always had to Tie up the used diaper in an odd manner.

Though, I suppose once it's in a Bag and that's Tied. It doesn't matter (unless it's just a Wet diaper, then I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as it's tossed in the right place)
That's my biggest gripe with XP5000 diapers.
They have some sticky portion on the hook and loop tapes, but
that usually doesn't stick very well anymore the next morning.

JoeMusic1976 said:
That's my biggest gripe with XP5000 diapers.
They have some sticky portion on the hook and loop tapes, but
that usually doesn't stick very well anymore the next morning.
Tykables are like that as well. Instead of sticking the tabs to the diaper, I pull them a bit tighter and tie them.

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver
I just roll mine up tightly from the front then use fold the sides over and secure with the tapes.

A note about people saying roll it "as tight as possible", if you have wet your diaper to the max to where it leaked or it is almost leaking, rolling too tight might squeeze some of the liquid out, especially out the sides and also up the back of the diaper (you'll see the liquid be squeezed up as you're rolling. So if you're rolling a really saturated diaper, roll it up compactly so there's no extra space in the diaper, but don't squeeze the absorbent material it too tightly. And do it on a waterproof mat or easy to clean surface or in the bathtub just in case. The leaks out the sides are sneaky, you won't notice them until too late.

When I roll my diapers, I start with the diaper completely flat open. I tuck in the front wings toward the inside, and start rolling from the front of the diaper to the back. You'll have a diaper burrito with the back wings with tapes still spread out. You then take those tapes and pull it across the diaper and tape it; repeat with the other wing and you've got a compact rolled diaper.

Yes, I even do this for plastic backed but hook and loop tape diapers. I have found that the hook and loop tapes still have a small strip of adhesive on them, which stick well enough for my closing purposes. Even if any diaper doesn't tape that well, I use Bos bags for disposal so once I put the rolled up diaper in those the bag helps keep the shape as well.

For pullups (such as Goodnites), I use the tie method. I tear the sides near to the front (instead of the seam in the middle of the sides) to give my self a longer piece to work with when tying. I then roll up the diaper like before, and use the elastic sides at the end to tie into a neat ball.

I'm the same as @Napincolove, fold front wings inside over each other then roll front to back, I don't go too tight like others have suggested as I don't want to add pressure and force the wee out (I tend to wet almost to the point of leaking anyway), just enough to keep it compact, then using the back wings and tapes one over the other to tape it closed.

One big thing I do suggest is that if you have made a mess in the nappy, when you take it off, hold the front and back and tip it over the toilet and give a little shake up and down to get as much poop as you can off the nappy into the toilet and flush it away, this is recommended for baby nappies too. Getting as much of the bulk out as you can and flushing away will help, once it's all rolled up, to reduce bad smells.

You don't need to wipe the nappy out just a few shakes so it's not a hard or gross step, but I've had dirty nappies where I do this and then put it loose into the bin (ran out of separate diaper bags) and there has been pretty much no smell in the bin when opening it later whereas rolling it up and binning with the poop in there can smell a whole room out even if the bin is closed.

Reactions: Nova95
Back