Can any of you remember potty training?

Can any of you remember potty training?

• Total voters
PCS said:
Not really, but I do have a few early memories of wearing for need. I also remember my potty.

UK potty training ideas in the 1980s were quite relaxed (a new idea at the time).

I certainly remember my sister and friends’ younger siblings being trained.

Multiple accounts in my origin post here:

I recall seeing Peaudouce in "extra child size" in the 80s. Was this the same as child size or was this a bigger size?

I think I remember the tail end of it. I remember times using the potty chair for poop and my mom cleaning it up and eventually being told to use the toilet for that. I was 2 1/2 when I potty trained according to my family.

Reactions: TigerDL and Edgewater
HumanFly said:
I recall seeing Peaudouce in "extra child size" in the 80s. Was this the same as child size or was this a bigger size?
I think they were known as “Extra” in some markets and “Childsize” in others so multi lingual packs were just labelled “Extra Childsize.”

I don’t think they were a bigger size.

I think there is a picture which confirms this as the weight range is still only up to 25kg, which is what Childsize was.

I may be able to find it…

Yep… here it is. If you zoom in top right you will see the weight range is 15-25kg.

1712225554818.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
I don't recall training, but i do know: age 5 we moved to a bigger house. Tye toilet was so high from floor, i had to use big sisters old step thing to get my lil bum up to the seat! Feets did not reach floor. When still using a tiddlers little plastic pot, was supposed to dump it into huge real one.

• Wow
PCS said:
I think they were known as “Extra” in some markets and “Childsize” in others so multi lingual packs were just labelled “Extra Childsize.”

I don’t think they were a bigger size.

I think there is a picture which confirms this as the weight range is still only up to 25kg, which is what Childsize was.

I may be able to find it…

Yep… here it is. If you zoom in top right you will see the weight range is 15-25kg.

View attachment 133337
I forgot how big packs of nappies back then were. Nowadays even packs of size 8 Pampers are about half that size or less. It's also strange that 'baby' language is used on nappies aimed at children who are bigger than toddlers who would be upset if called a baby (back then BabySlips; now it's Baby-Dry).

I have no memory of this training process. My earliest clear memory is when I quit night-time diapers; "Now that you are dry at night, you don't need diapers anymore. Now you only need to stay dry during daytime, as well."

So something clearly did not work out as planned here. It seems using day-time diapers were determined by age, not necessity. Big boys don't wear diapers, so no more diapers after a certain age, which was determined by current norms. That did of course not prevent accidents, which occurred, for a long time. Toilet training was officially over, but it had totally failed.

I remember most of it as it took one weekend. Most of this was later confirmed by the time stamp on photos my parents took during that time.

1. Friday--- my last diapers were thrown away, so I sat on the potty the entire day. I remember crying and begging mom would buy more.
2. Saturday---I must have gotten used to the potty because I remember going by myself and calling for help after using it.
3. Sunday--- I get dropped of at the church nursery and proudly show off my underwear.

I can tell you though that being that I was given a "sink or swim" version of potty training, it did make me sort of fear using it. It lead to me being chronically constipated as a kid because I preferred to use the bathroom at home and kinda hat a set schedule to go. This meant I would hold it all day during school or whenever I was out with my parents. The noise of the toilets in public spaces didn't help either....and I consider them outrageously loud to this day.

Strangely enough, I was mortified the first time I caused a toilet to overflow, because I used to much toilet paper. Again, this made me have some sort of fear that I never really got over leading to more constipation issues. I eventually learned basic plumbing fixes and it went away. Now I have IBS-D combined with a lack of a gallbladder. It's essentially impossible for become constipated for me anymore.

So when I think about it, those three days in 1987 really effected me in life----but I'm not blaming my parents as they just did what the doctor told them to do.

quartz200420012 said:
I remember most of it as it took one weekend. Most of this was later confirmed by the time stamp on photos my parents took during that time.

1. Friday--- my last diapers were thrown away, so I sat on the potty the entire day. I remember crying and begging mom would buy more.
2. Saturday---I must have gotten used to the potty because I remember going by myself and calling for help after using it.
3. Sunday--- I get dropped of at the church nursery and proudly show off my underwear.

So when I think about it, those three days in 1987 really effected me in life----but I'm not blaming my parents as they just did what the doctor told them to do.
How old have you been then?

My only memory of potty training was of having to remain in diapers at night once they became reliably dry during the day around the age of three or so.

Nessaja said:
Yes, as this was a traumatic experience to me both times. You can't really call that training either. My parents just decided it was time and then no accidents were allowed.
This was similar to my experience and I remember it vividly because it was so traumatic. I was around 3. I’ve always had difficulty with bladder and bowel control and I was a late bloomer.

I am undiagnosed autistic and ADHD. I can’t even describe how many close calls and accidents I had as a child. Thousands. In any setting you might imagine. My parents either ignored it or punished me for something I could not control. So yeah childhood freak n trauma.

Eclectic said:
This was similar to my experience and I remember it vividly because it was so traumatic. I was around 3. I’ve always had difficulty with bladder and bowel control and I was a late bloomer.

I am undiagnosed autistic and ADHD. I can’t even describe how many close calls and accidents I had as a child. Thousands. In any setting you might imagine. My parents either ignored it or punished me for something I could not control. So yeah childhood freak n trauma.
I wish ignoring was a thing. With the strong force applied however it worked with almost no accidents. That was at the age of 2.5 I think for the day and on my 4th birthday for the night.

Reactions: Elhon and Edgewater
Nessaja said:
I wish ignoring was a thing. With the strong force applied however it worked with almost no accidents. That was at the age of 2.5 I think for the day and on my 4th birthday for the night.
Yeah no amount of forcing was going to stop my accidents, which is why at a relatively young age, I just hid it from everyone.

I can remember parts of my potty training when I was about two and a half years old. I had a little child-size potty that fit on top of the larger adult-size toilet seat. In the front of the small seat was a plastic cup to catch pee and direct it into the toilet bowl. I was taken out of diapers abruptly and had a number of pant-wetting accidents for which I was scolded and sometimes spanked. I remember one particularly traumatic pants wetting that happened during a church service. I make a puddle on the wooden pew that spread and got the person sitting next to me wet. I was grabbed, carried out of the building, and got a particularly severe spanking for that. At night, I slept on blanket with a waterproof pad under it and had to endure waking up cold and wet. This rather traumatic potty-training process didn't last very long. I quickly learned to poop in the toilet and became reliably dry day and night within a few weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and diaperkool
PCS said:
Love those old pictures of diaper aisles from supermarkets or other stores.
But I didn't find plenty of them in the internet other a handful and some stock photos:
Photo1 & Photo2
If someone has pictures of old grocery baby aisles, I would love to see them :)

Now back to topic, I can remember some stuff vaguely,
I didn't like the little plastic potty where my mum sat me down to do Number#1 in it.
I started crying, but she left me sitting for a while, after that she tried the normal toilet with a smaller kid-seat adapter.
That worked better, but my cousin told me about a Toilet monster, so I was scared and didn't want to go on that thing either.

After I mastered daytime dryness, I had at least 6–7 months till I were consistent dry at nighttime.
In that time, I remember how she put me in my bedtime diaper after bathing.
I also remember how she wanted me to become fully potty-trained and how the nighttime diapers disappeared.
"Should we try this night without a diaper?" She asked me full of motivation.
But I said something like: "No... I want to wear my diaper at night..."
Which she answered with: "Only babies wear diapers at night, aren't you a big boy now???"
Now she had me in a pickle and my pride hindered me.
But one or two times, especially after a long, stressful day,
I pleaded her to diaper me again, and she made an exception.
Those times I got the whole baby procedure and I loved it.

SoggyRunner said:
One clear memory is of looking down at my wet shorts while an older neighbor girl was walking me back to our house and telling my mom I’d had an accident.
That sparked some memories where that happened to me kinda as well.
It was a girl from Kindergarten who brought the caretakers to me as I had an accident
I felt extremely little, and she acted like I was her little brother and reassured me that nothing bad will happen.
If I remember correctly, the caretakers put me the rest of the day in Pampers, because they had no spare clothes except one overall-style pants.
And anybody on the playground knew, that this pants means you had gone potty in your pants.
Really embarrassing, but the same girl who snitched me, coaxed me to play with her and distracted me from the other children mocking me.
And my mother wasn't pleased about it.

I don't remember potty training, but I do remember my first few accidents after potty training. I remember going to a theme park on play date. My mom's friends daughter was a year older than me and very pretty. Right before we left the park, I pooped my shorts. It wasn't huge, but it was diarrhea and I could feel it in my underwear. Everyone knew I had an accident. And I was most embarrassed because I was sitting next to a pretty girl with poop in my pants. I don't remember the drive home, but I know I was sitting in my mess

I've a few vague memories

Even though I'm told I was potty trained a bit late (probably around 3 instead of the "usual" 2 or something of the time), I don't think I remember the actual process of potty training, but I have a few memories from the tail end of it that play into my like for diapers.

There are a few memories I have from when I was in pullups, but I believe I was by the time I was mostly potty trained wearing them. I remember at daycare I would use the potty at this time of wearing pullups, so I guess they were just in case and I was able to use the toilet most of the time. Or I'm remembering wrong and I wasn't actually in pullups at the time.

The memories from this era that really stick out to me was that I saw my classmates wearing and using their pullups. When we were out at recess, some of the kids would be brought in and were changed baby-style (laying on their backs) out of their pullups, probably because they had an accident, possibly a poopy one. I don't think I remember ever being changed like that, but/so I was really jealous of them.

I also remember after I was potty trained, I still wanted to wear and use the diapers that were still around at my house. I used some of them, but then my parents "hid" the diapers (possibly threw them away...)

I have no problem remembering my potty training, I remember messing my diaper 30 minutes ago!:think:

I can only remember clearly the final part, the day I got my first pair of underwear, I was so happy, ahahah!! 😂

Back