Fascination with safety and adult car seat?

gterriley said:
I got it today! I’m 5’1 and 105 lbs and I fit perfectly in it. I’m in the top shoulder strap slots and they’re slightly above where my shoulders rest. I loosened it up all the way and actually had a pretty good amount of slack, so I imagine someone who is anywhere below 5’6 or so should fit fine. This seat is really really secure too. The sides hug your body and when the harness is tightened, you can barely move. I tried squirming around and testing it and you have no ability to lean or reach to the side at all. It feels so safe because you can’t slouch or lean forward whatsoever. I actually panicked slightly because the button release is actually hard to press in. It’s so cute and comfy though, I highly recommend anyone who’s around the 5’-5’6 range look around on fb marketplace for one
I have a Spirit aps car seat, but sadly no one to drive me around in. It would be heavenly to go on a long road trip strapped into that thing. So easy to sleep in since you can't move and the headrest just encourages you to nod off.

Reactions: Fusion10
Hi friend! I am also like you. I don't consider myself an adult baby, I don't wear diapers etc. (But of course I have no judgment towards those who do!!) But I do have a very intense passion for safety related things. I was also "stuck" in a car seat until I was like 11 years old, because I had a younger sibling who tought it was unfair that I'd get a booster and not them... so I had to wait until THEY maxed out of the harness seat... my parents were also always extremely strict when it came to wearing helmets (understandably) so we ended up with quite a collection from horse riding, cycling, skiing, ice skating etc.
Finally... life jackets. My favorite thing. I just LOVE the feeling of wearing one, even tough I was a competitive swimmer, I would still much rather wear a life jacket anytime I get in the water. The ones with the large collars and the crotch straps, like the ones i used to wear as a child, are the absolute best.
I'm currently writing this in bed, with my life jacket on 😅

• Love
Reactions: CaZzaaaa, pd8615, Chimera and 4 others
I have a half-fascination (if that makes sense) with safety (think lifejackets, high-visibility gear, etc.)... but I don't think I grew up with safety... for one, my parents didn't use car-seats much (or make me wear seatbelts for that matter)... nor did I grow up in an environment with much "babyproofing" or "protection."

I guess my interest is developed by seeing what others are into and have had experiences with.

Reactions: gterriley
Well, when i was a kid i was never babied, didnt wear a seat belt even, not even helmet on motorcycles, yes i did on the road when traveling far, but not in-town. dont remember other than water skiing wearing a life jacket, but i am from the 70's so a bit different time.

After my near fatal car accident, i am much more aware, maybe even hyper aware of seatbelts and safety equipment.

Now, after some more falls/cuncussions/broken bones/and worse my body is in NO way able to handle any accident, cant swim, use wheelchair if much walking at all, wear a back brace etc...even have a helmet (after 3+ cuncussions in 2 months from falls) I find myself much more attuned to the items that can/will/do help with anything from pain and the possibility of getting more damage to my spine/head/etc.

Looking back at things I could have done to help my current situation/physical state and my lack of even thinking of the possibility that i could get hurt and maybe be a good idea to think more about safety.

I also can see the feeling of safety one gets when doing or being forced to wear safety equipment. I know I am 1000 times more relaxed if everything i can do to help safety is done.

Besides the feelings (mental) there is also the feelings of the physical device as well, some i like some i dont (cant stand being hot)...
Like wearing a life jacket gives you a physical compression and also physical barrier between you and the world.
Or wearing a harness you physically are reminded you are less likely to be harmed and may also like being under others control to a point.

Myself, I can barely stand a helmet (dont like any feeling of less air) or anything that makes me sweat or hot. But others like the feelings of such.

What I see is that with things like a car seat, or harness, or life jacket, you get the physical sensation of the device on your body and a constant reminder of the safety it comes with, maybe some embaressment (if you wore it out) and maybe some feeling if someone else is asking/making you wear it into some "little" feelings.

Myself, i don't really get the little thing, but i do understand/get the attraction for some towards this for sure.

Personally beyond any actual help with pain/issues, I feel unsafe in a vehicle (espcially not driving which i dont) relying on someone else to be a "good" driver and the fact that even if they are good, cant account for the others on the road. So, even if my back was good i'd not be getting in a car and NOT using the seat belts and also similar on the water as well. Might be a bit of PTSD for sure, and just the fact that you cant control everything by any means.

I think a lot of people would feel good/great wearing a life jacket in a boat, and/or if there is a car seat or 5 point harness in a car using it, and mostly dont use them cause of the possibility of someone thinking they are somehow less adult or something.

Overall as a population need to somehow make using safety equipment the macho/best looking thing to do and people look at NOT using anything you can to be safe as the odd one out.

There is rarely any instances where a piece of safety gear caused more harm than good, yes some outliers, but as a whole if somehting every happens 99% of the time would be better if you utilized the safety equipment than not using it. Like wearing a life jacket, yes rarely will need it, but when you do it's too late to put it on, and not often would you be injured by wearing it. Same for like 5pt harness in a car or car seat if in your size.

Yes, it's an adult's decision to not wear it, but why not wear it. Like a motorcycle helmet, they help more than they hurt.

So, I suspect that there are a LOT more people that would love to be wearing/using the safety equipment if it wernt for the perception of somehow being less adult when using the safety equipment. I mean using the safety equipment is being adult and responsible person. As why safety gear is left to adults to specify for children as they tend to not think of the outcome or even know of certain safety equipment at some point.

Reactions: Lolalj and gterriley
Lolalj said:
Hi friend! I am also like you. I don't consider myself an adult baby, I don't wear diapers etc. (But of course I have no judgment towards those who do!!) But I do have a very intense passion for safety related things. I was also "stuck" in a car seat until I was like 11 years old, because I had a younger sibling who tought it was unfair that I'd get a booster and not them... so I had to wait until THEY maxed out of the harness seat... my parents were also always extremely strict when it came to wearing helmets (understandably) so we ended up with quite a collection from horse riding, cycling, skiing, ice skating etc.
Finally... life jackets. My favorite thing. I just LOVE the feeling of wearing one, even tough I was a competitive swimmer, I would still much rather wear a life jacket anytime I get in the water. The ones with the large collars and the crotch straps, like the ones i used to wear as a child, are the absolute best.
What kind of life jacket do you have?

Lolalj said:
The strict parents pipeline lol 😂 what kind of seat did you ride in?
Also, yes. Love my life jacket. I fully prefer the feel of the crotch strap, the most annoying part of a life jacket is when it rides up on you and that completely eliminates that issue. I’ve had some of my friends wear mine and initially laugh when buckling in but then be like “this just makes sense why doesn’t every one have this”

Reactions: Lolalj
gterriley said:
The strict parents pipeline lol 😂 what kind of seat did you ride in?
Also, yes. Love my life jacket. I fully prefer the feel of the crotch strap, the most annoying part of a life jacket is when it rides up on you and that completely eliminates that issue. I’ve had some of my friends wear mine and initially laugh when buckling in but then be like “this just makes sense why doesn’t every one have this”
Just a a side note to your thread - When we climb up radio towers and other structures, we wear a 5 point safety harness for fall protection. It doesn't have crotch straps, but It has 2 loops that your legs go through and serve the same purpose. Possibly a career for you? You could be strapped in all the time, LOL.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: dogboy and gterriley
I fit perfectly in a Britax Highpoint.

Attachments

• seated.jpg
    seated.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: adam and Newtolittlespacelife2023
gterriley said:
Hello everyone. I posted this on the introduction forum but was told I’d get better responses here, so here I am :) I was reluctant to make an account on here because I don’t think what would typically qualify as an AB, I’m not into diapers or acting like a baby (no disrespect to anyone who does these things!) but I’ve developed a fascination at this point of my life and I don’t know what to make of it.

I’m 26 F and for most of my life grew up in a VERY protective family (I had to ride in a car seat using a harness until I was 11, had helicopter parents, curfews etc). When I was young I hated this, and I wanted to be less “safeguarded”. Recently, as I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed it’s become the complete opposite, I love everything that’s “safe”.

For example, most people don’t like wearing life jackets. I got a jetski last year and I love wearing my life jacket. I got a really nice one with a little collar on it and a strap that goes between my legs and I feel so secure in it when I’m in the water floating around. I always sleep with a weighted blanket because it’s comforting to me. It’s not necessarily a “safe thing” but I got a fleece onesie from onepiece for my birthday and it’s the coziest thing in the world, I wear it whenever I’m bumming it around the house on Sunday. It’s funny but the one thing I want the most right now is to ride in a car seat again. A few years ago while I was in college I was at a friend’s house getting ready to go out and the friend’s mom drove us to the bar. They babysit a kid with special needs and her mom forgot to take the car seat out of the car so one of my friends hopped in it as a joke and rode to the bar strapped in. We were all laughing at the time but it looked so cute and safe! Ever since then I’ve wanted to feel what it’s like to ride in a car seat again because there are special needs car seats that are in my height and weight range that I can legally ride in. I’m too embarrassed to tell anybody I know about this and want to know if anyone else has developed a gravitation toward safety like this.
gterriley said:
Hello everyone. I posted this on the introduction forum but was told I’d get better responses here, so here I am :) I was reluctant to make an account on here because I don’t think what would typically qualify as an AB, I’m not into diapers or acting like a baby (no disrespect to anyone who does these things!) but I’ve developed a fascination at this point of my life and I don’t know what to make of it.

I’m 26 F and for most of my life grew up in a VERY protective family (I had to ride in a car seat using a harness until I was 11, had helicopter parents, curfews etc). When I was young I hated this, and I wanted to be less “safeguarded”. Recently, as I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed it’s become the complete opposite, I love everything that’s “safe”.

For example, most people don’t like wearing life jackets. I got a jetski last year and I love wearing my life jacket. I got a really nice one with a little collar on it and a strap that goes between my legs and I feel so secure in it when I’m in the water floating around. I always sleep with a weighted blanket because it’s comforting to me. It’s not necessarily a “safe thing” but I got a fleece onesie from onepiece for my birthday and it’s the coziest thing in the world, I wear it whenever I’m bumming it around the house on Sunday. It’s funny but the one thing I want the most right now is to ride in a car seat again. A few years ago while I was in college I was at a friend’s house getting ready to go out and the friend’s mom drove us to the bar. They babysit a kid with special needs and her mom forgot to take the car seat out of the car so one of my friends hopped in it as a joke and rode to the bar strapped in. We were all laughing at the time but it looked so cute and safe! Ever since then I’ve wanted to feel what it’s like to ride in a car seat again because there are special needs car seats that are in my height and weight range that I can legally ride in. I’m too embarrassed to tell anybody I know about this and want to know if anyone else has developed a gravitation toward safety like this.
Hi hi
So over protective mom who was all about me being safe and not caring what other moms would say or do. I had to be rear faced longer than my friends. I was always embarrassed when I would go out with my cousins and mom made sure my seat was I'm the car.
The moment I was turned around to see the world felt like a huge step for me. Yet here I was still on a five point harness. I was 11 or 12 and was like this has to be wrong but I felt secure. I remember an accident and I am glad I was in my seat and remember everyone saying I was lucky I was secured

I miss the carseat I really do.
I think you need to have a deep talk with a best friend and ask them if they drive you around for a hour or a day live out your dream you deserve it.

Besides carseat I was also into highchairs there was something about a highchair and being secure in one and needing to be turned to see TV

Good luck

adam said:
Just a a side note to your thread - When we climb up radio towers and other structures, we wear a 5 point safety harness for fall protection. It doesn't have crotch straps, but It has 2 loops that your legs go through and serve the same purpose. Possibly a career for you? You could be strapped in all the time, LOL.
I’m in medical device sales, maybe in another lifetime lol but I don’t do heights so kudos to you for being brave enough to do what you do 😬

Newtolittlespacelife2023 said:
Hi hi
So over protective mom who was all about me being safe and not caring what other moms would say or do. I had to be rear faced longer than my friends. I was always embarrassed when I would go out with my cousins and mom made sure my seat was I'm the car.
The moment I was turned around to see the world felt like a huge step for me. Yet here I was still on a five point harness. I was 11 or 12 and was like this has to be wrong but I felt secure. I remember an accident and I am glad I was in my seat and remember everyone saying I was lucky I was secured

I miss the carseat I really do.
I think you need to have a deep talk with a best friend and ask them if they drive you around for a hour or a day live out your dream you deserve it.

Besides carseat I was also into highchairs there was something about a highchair and being secure in one and needing to be turned to see TV

Good luck
My childhood too 😂 we never got into an accident thank god, but now I’m actually thankful my sister and I were harnessed so long, it really is SO much safer.

As for getting driven around, that’s going to take some time to build up the courage to ask, hopefully in the future.

For some reason I personally don’t have much interest in high chairs, to be honest I don’t have any memories of being in one

gterriley said:
My childhood too 😂 we never got into an accident thank god, but now I’m actually thankful my sister and I were harnessed so long, it really is SO much safer.

As for getting driven around, that’s going to take some time to build up the courage to ask, hopefully in the future.

For some reason I personally don’t have much interest in high chairs, to be honest I don’t have any memories of being in one
Can you show me the carseat your getting. Do you remember the one you had as a kid? Did your mom take it to put in other cars if you were riding with someone. I was always embarrassed because I could never reach anything I dropped

Can you show me the carseat your getting. Do you remember the one you had as a kid? Did your mom take it to put in other cars if you were riding with someone. I was always embarrassed because I could never reach anything I dropped
This is my Roosevelt, I haven’t actually rode in it in the car yet but I fit perfectly in the straps!
And yes, I had a britax husky growing up. I didn’t typically ride in other people’s cars too often and because the husky is a big seat, it was rarely moved into another car. I had a booster seat I would use on those rare occasions. I technically could’ve rode in a booster from the time I was around 6-7, my parents just preferred the harness for extra safety.

Attachments

• IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    808.5 KB · Views: 22
gterriley said:
This is my Roosevelt, I haven’t actually rode in it in the car yet but I fit perfectly in the straps!
And yes, I had a britax husky growing up. I didn’t typically ride in other people’s cars too often and because the husky is a big seat, it was rarely moved into another car. I had a booster seat I would use on those rare occasions. I technically could’ve rode in a booster from the time I was around 6-7, my parents just preferred the harness for extra safety.
Your mom sounds like mine . Mine refused to consider a booster seat. She kept saying it doesn't matter other parents do. She felt a booster had no safety features and didn't prevent me from going forward
Can I ask what year were you born
What were your thoughts on being rear faced

Your mom sounds like mine . Mine refused to consider a booster seat. She kept saying it doesn't matter other parents do. She felt a booster had no safety features and didn't prevent me from going forward
Can I ask what year were you born
What were your thoughts on being rear faced
1997. To be honest I don’t have much of a memory of rear facing. I definitely remember riding in my Husky though. I hated it as a kid, I would buckle myself in and then had to wait for my straps to be tightened up. I slept really well in it but it was embarrassing. My younger sister liked her seat and had less of an issue with being in a harness so long. Our rule was that we rode with the harness until we either outgrew it or hit the 80lb limit on the seats

Reactions: Newtolittlespacelife2023 and Fusion10
gterriley said:
1997. To be honest I don’t have much of a memory of rear facing. I definitely remember riding in my Husky though. I hated it as a kid, I would buckle myself in and then had to wait for my straps to be tightened up. I slept really well in it but it was embarrassing. My younger sister liked her seat and had less of an issue with being in a harness so long. Our rule was that we rode with the harness until we either outgrew it or hit the 80lb limit on the seats
I wish that would've been the case for me growing up, I had basically the exact opposite experience with my parents. I can't even remember being in a car seat at all for the most part. Do you mind me asking where you are from? I'm trying to find a similar seat to your roosevelt and am wondering where geographically you were even able to find one being sold.

gterriley said:
I was born around the same time
Yes I remember being rear facing. My mom's rule was we are not wasting money so we are using this until you no longer can.

Fusion10 said:
I wish that would've been the case for me growing up, I had basically the exact opposite experience with my parents. I can't even remember being in a car seat at all for the most part. Do you mind me asking where you are from? I'm trying to find a similar seat to your roosevelt and am wondering where geographically you were even able to find one being sold.
Just look around on Facebook marketplace, someone else on this thread actually joined me and got one, type in “Roosevelt car seat” or “special needs car seat” and set the distance to 250 miles away from you

Reactions: Fusion10
I'll keep an eye out. Are you from the northeast by any chance? I wish I could find someone or some way to be able to see one in person to know what the fit is like before I try to buy one 😄

gterriley said:

gterriley said:

Hi, well I am not a little I am a sissy that would love to have a little to take care of someday. With that in mind I would really be interested in the safety equipment that we use for babies to make sure that my little will be happy and safe. As a mechanical engineer I would be very interested in developing different safety objects for adult babies. I think I am going to work on a design for a car seat to fit adult babies of different sizes and also see how the car seats are designed. I would ask others here other than the five point harness what other aspects of the seats would you like integrated. I might go ahead and also work on a buster seat to fit different chairs with safety straps.

Reactions: babyoni and gterriley
Back