Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Republican National Convention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr5kMguEqi8

Wow. Just, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Auby View Post
    I've never really felt this way about Romney. He's no saint, but I do believe that he has a heart, and is a lot more complex than we give him credit for. He was a bishop in the Mormon church in the 80's and early 90's where he had to help others and work on a personal basis with those much less fortunate for him, and I don't think an elevator is enough to say he's lost touch with "the 99%." What I see his biggest issue being is that he is "socially awkward." He can't talk to a large bloc of voters for some reason, and he's someone you either love or hate usually unlike the very relateable Obama. He's just not as charismatic as Obama or any of his former competition, and that seriously hurts him in the long run. While I think platform is the most important thing, no one wants to feel as if they're getting the cold shoulder from a candidate. Mitt Romney actually can articulate what he wants to do very well when he gets opportunities, and that's probably because he's got a lot of skills of proposing business plans, but small talk seems to be his greatest weakness. I'm pretty sure you have a lot more objections than that about Romney, but that's just my on why I think people feel Romney is out of touch.
    Well, there are also comments like “We've always encouraged young people: Take a shot, go for it. Take a risk. Get the education. Borrow money if you have to from your parents. Start a business.”

I wonder what percentage of parents can actually afford to give their kid that kind of loan...
    Last edited by Near; 29-Aug-2012 at 04:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Good ol' fashion civil disobedience. I was expecting more of a bang, but it is what it is. I believe they could have requested the chairman to take an actual vote if I understand convention procedures, but this really isn't that big of a deal to me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Auby View Post
    Good ol' fashion civil disobedience. I was expecting more of a bang, but it is what it is. I believe they could have requested the chairman to take an actual vote if I understand convention procedures, but this really isn't that big of a deal to me personally.
    Ya, at first I didn't realize what happened immediately beforehand. Thought they where chanting because she is from Puerto Rico.

Well, there are also comments like “We've always encouraged young people: Take a shot, go for it. Take a risk. Get the education. Borrow money if you have to from your parents. Start a business.”

I wonder what percentage of parents can actually afford to give their kid that kind of loan...
    That's a classic Romney line. It comes with good intentions, but always comes out sounding a little "off." It's kinda of like when he says something along the lines of, "I think the president is a nice guy, but his policies have failed." I genuinely he means that as a respectful "I disagree with the president", but it always comes off as condescending.

Ya, at first I didn't realize what happened immediately beforehand. Thought they where chanting because she is from Puerto Rico.
    Well, they weren't upset with Puerto Rico if that's what you thought. lol. The convention has been quite orderly (and boring) other than this recent story.
    Republican Attendee Allegedly Threw Nuts At Black CNN Camerawoman, Called Her An 'Animal'

Default Republican National Convention

My reaction to that story, if it turns out it's true: http://qkme.me/3qogjt

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

An interesting article on the involved press: Reporters why are you in Tampa?

first time I've seen whether instead of weather ^_^, only had to bring it up as its incredibly rare, usually its weather being misused not the other way around =p.

As for the convention, watch some of the speeches, laughed/mocked quite a few of them and there points. Oh and learned that apparently all you need to do to be rich is work hard, thus poor people are lazy sods.

I still remember when in 2004 Zell Miller gave a vitriolic keynote speech and then, while looking disturbingly like a vampire, challenged Chris Matthews to a duel on live television. I have no need to ever watch another RNC convention as I have no expectation anything so awesome will ever happen at one again.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover
    Caretaker

Personally I think Paul Ryan's speech was excellent. Mitt choose well, a warm open public speaker.
    I see Romney as the opposite of Obama; Not a very good public speaker or politician bit someone who can get the job done and hopefully get us out of debt.

As a side note: Ron Paul lost me with his foreign policy, while it is true we dont need to be using our armed forces in other countries quite so much, but we d need a presence around the world to help keep us safe.

Adultbaby
    Diaper Lover

Quote Originally Posted by BabyTommy View Post
    but we d need a presence around the world to help keep us safe.
    The last time a country attacked a US state, what happened?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast