View RSS Feed

KatelynG

Diaper Review: Well Beginnings Diapers (Size 6)

Rate this Entry
Well Beginnings is Walgreens's generic brand of baby supplies. These are the diaper part of that line.

This is a review of size 6, purchased in November 2014. Well Beginnings Diapers are also available in sizes 1-5 (standard sizing). No absorbancy info is provided.

Appearance, Size, and Features

Well Beginnings Diapers are white with green patterns, blue size numbers, and zebra-themed designs. There is no wetness indicator. There are elastics in the back of the diaper for better fit. They are unscented.

Front and back of folded diaper

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 3.4cm, giving an average thickness of about 1.1cm.

Three diapers stacked

Well Beginnings Diapers have a single refastenable tape, quite wider than that of your average diaper. The tape-wings are stretchy but much sturdier than those of the Luvs and Pampers, although they don't stretch as far. They don't seem to become loose at all over time.

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:
Length: 50 cm
Width at center: 16 cm between the elastics, 23 cm from edge-to-edge
Width at back wings: 34 cm
Width at front wings: 31 cm

Front and back of unfolded diaper

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

I sort-of jokingly call this "The Little Diaper That Could." Despite being extremely swollen as early as 300mL, the diaper did not leak at all until 900mL of water was poured down it, after which it leaked severely. I kept thinking it couldn't possibly hold more but it kept proving me wrong!

Obviously movement wasn't an issue. Surprisingly, though, these diapers were way less squishy than most baby diapers. At capacity they were actually very stiff.

I find it reasonable to believe that these can hold at least 800mL reliably, as they did so without problems. The problem comes in the fact that these get stiff at capacity to the point that they can't even be folded.

I attempted to refold and measure the diaper, but it would not refold. At capacity, it had swollen to 7.0cm at its thinnest point. The lowest point of the diaper when folded as it should be would have been over double this thickness. This is over 6 times the dry size of the diaper, crazy even for baby diapers.

The unfortunate problem: The absorbent padding did not reach all the way to the back of the diaper, meaning you might end up wetting at one edge of the absorbent material.

I did not experience problems with wicking during the capacity test, but there may have been some issues during the day-use test.

Unfortunately, the picture I took of the swollen diaper after the capacity test has been lost, so content yourselves with a mental picture of a baby diaper so thick it can't fold up correctly. If there's enough demand for this picture, I'm willing to redo the test.

My waist size is around 28 inches and there is no way in hell that this thing was fitting me. Oh well; time to use my awesome diaper extenders! Note: These diapers would be perfect for use as diaper extenders because of the sturdy sides and wide tapes/landing area; much better than Luvs/Pampers.

To test the diaper out in a real-life scenario, I wore it for a couple of hours from 10:30am-12:30pm. I had to go pretty badly as soon as I put it on; it could definitely last at least a few more hours than that if I didn't put it on as soon as I woke up before I could use the bathroom. This means that effectively it held the wettings from when I went to sleep until 12:30pm. It was basically at the leaking point when I took it off. I wouldn't advocate wearing these by themselves too much, but they're adorable enough to try!

The diaper was obviously discreet. Clumping in baby diapers seems to not be a problem.

Price and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers from Walgreens, where they are available in packs of 23 for $8.79 ($0.38/diaper) or in larger packs at prices that vary between stores. These often go on sale for buy one/get one 50% off or equivalent, so keep an eye out for that.

These are an absolutely insane diaper performance-wise. Almost a full liter of absorbency at under $0.50/diaper is crazy. Although these may not fit that well, I'd advocate strongly buying a pack of these and using it for stuffers and diaper extenders. They are of course adorable, but aren't really practical for wear without diaper extenders. Anyways, give these ridiculously absorbent diapers a try!

Comments

ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.