View RSS Feed

Diaper Review: Luvs Size 6 (ADISC-style but not allowed as an article)

Rate this Entry
Thought I might as well post this as a blog for the sake of archival.

Luvs diapers are the budget line of diapers produced by Procter & Gamble, the manufacturer of Pampers. They feature the same style of stretchy sides that Pampers are well-known for throughout the AB/DL community. They are currently marketed as having "Night-Lock", described as a larger absorbent area.

This is a review of size 6, purchased in October 2014. Luvs are also available in Newborn and sizes 1-5 (standard weight ratings). No quantitative absorbancy information is provided by the manufacturer or resellers.

Appearance, Size, and Features

Luvs are white with a purple and green pattern, decorated with monkeys on the front and back. The size is clearly stated on the front. There is no wetness indicator.

Front and back of the folded diaper

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 4.0cm, giving an average thickness of about 1.3cm.

3 diapers stacked

Luvs have a single refastenable tape attached to an extremely stretchy side, similar to most cloth-backed diapers. These seem to become loose when the landing area becomes worn down through constant tension/repeated adjustment.

The tape

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:
Length: 54 cm
Width at center: 14.5 cm between the elastics, 21.0cm from edge-to-edge
Width at back wings: 33.6cm
Width at front wings: 27.8cm

Front and back of unfolded diaper

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

There were no significant observations to report until the diaper leaked slightly at 800 mL. Since the leak was extremely slight (a few drops), I continued the test. At 900mL the diaper left a clear puddle on the chair, so I ended the test.

Despite its thickness at capacity, the diaper never impeded movement, likely due to it being relatively thin. Obviously, the padding was extremely squishy.

I find it reasonable to believe that Luvs can hold slightly under 800mL - I'd estimate 750mL to be safe. This is approximately the same amount as the Wellness Superio diapers (the highest-end Wellness brand adult diapers) - way more than I'd expect from baby diapers.

When refolded and measured, the diaper had swollen to 7.6cm, around 5.7 times the dry size - absolutely an insane size compared to any adult diaper.

Wicking does not appear to be a huge issue - it wicks extremely well until it nears capacity, at which point some of the absorbent material appears to shift around depending on position.

Dry diaper next to full diaper after capacity test

My waist size is around 28 inches - well above Luvs' advertised size. With careful stretching, the diaper definitely tapes around me, although it fits more like a pair of panties than a diaper (not too small in the crotch though, surprisingly). Luvs are extremely light and thin when dry and of course do not impede movement.

For extended wear, I would advocate following ADISC's diaper extender guide. A single Luvs size 6 works just as well as a Pampers diaper (same manufacturer).

To test this diaper out in a real life scenario, I wore it for a few hours starting at around 8pm and ending at around 12:30am. I used the diaper extenders noted above for added comfort. As I always do and advise others to do, I wet the diaper often and in small quantities, although on the couple of occasions that the wettings were slightly larger, the diaper handled them perfectly well. I probably would not advocate wearing these too much longer than the 4.5 hours I did.

The diaper was obviously extremely discreet except to the person wearing it - you will definitely notice the squish when you move/sit. There was no noticeable urine smell, but the classic Pampers scent was noticeable to me (probably not to anyone else). Clumping is a non-issue for baby diapers it seems. I once had a tape need reapplication but it appeared to be due to initial misapplication rather than failure.

Price and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers for review purposes from Safeway, and they are available at basically every store in the US. They are available in value packs of 21 for $6.99 ($0.33/diaper) or packs of 112 for around $32.99 ($0.29/diaper). Here's an link.

Overall, these are an amazing price-to-performance diaper. Definitely pick some up for insanely cheap stuffers that might perform better than adult diapers. Obviously there's some AB draw here due to these being actual baby diapers. Just be warned that these will not fit you like adult diapers and that they are not going to cause any sort of waddle no matter what.

Nice little review! Very detailed and helpful! ^_^ - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.