View RSS Feed

Tales of a Forgotten God

Requiring assistance with Adobe Flash

Rate this Entry
As I stated before in one of my journals a bit ago, I'm learning to program in Flash for my Advanced Computer Projects class (ACP) at school. My self-assigned task is to create a Fire Emblem game using sprites, but I've recently discovered a few potential problems with what I need to accomplish, and, being that I don't know the inner workings of Flash as well as some people, I thought I'd ask about my two biggest concerns right now before I try getting deeply involved in my project; if I got too far in and found it was all for naught, I'd probably have a breakdown. (Thankfully, I'm only in the process of archiving sprites on my computer for now.)

I need to know if two things are possible to do with coding in Flash:

1) Referencing other Flash programs on the computer, specifically the layers of animation within those programs. (If this isn't possible, I can manage.)
2) Defining and assigning variables for certain sprites or sprite collections within a layer, such as (to use Moo's example) bovine = 1. (If this isn't possible, the entire endeavor will fall apart instantly.)

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.
Categories

Comments

I have had only really experience with the animation in flash. Not so the scripting and programming of things. Then again. Its been almost a year since I touched that program.

As for your first question.
    Before the official Flash editor, I used Swish. That had a feature where you can add another .swf file as a 'Movie' object. However, as for accessing other objects and sprites within that .swf file is beyond me. I can only suggest you keep it all in one. It may look messy, but you'll avoid all the incorrect file path errors.

2) Again, no programmign expereince in flash. But it should be possible. Maybe you have to associate the sprite name/id within a global variable?E.g. Sprite1_Speed = 4. I don't know to be honest.
    Thank you, fine sir. That alone gives me a reason to continue. ^-^
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.