View RSS Feed

KryanAshford

The job market

Rate this Entry
This is a bit of a rant sorry ahead of time.

Can anyone tell me why the job market is so screwed up? We have people doing jobs they hate, because it's the only way they get work. Some people only have a job for a few months before they're kicked to the curb. Seasonal jobs are a complete joke. Than there's the other side of that coin, others wait till they get a interview which can take anywhere from a day to a few months. It's insane. I'm looking for a job currently, but all I see is fastfood jobs. I hate doing these job. You feed a person only to have them come back in a few day if not the next day. Some days I want to call in just to stay away from the boring and pointless place. This world is horrible rotten from the inside out. I tired of the whole procces and have started giving up hope.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

There's a good answer to this question, but it's too long to post here, I'd break the character limit.

The short version is there are several factors in play. One is that the things that need to be done in order to make the modern world function aren't generally pleasurable, so there's a mismatch between activities that create joy and activities that are required to make sure everything is working well. Using McDonald's as an example, the company only needs a tiny number of people to be creative cooks, a tiny number who are architects and interior designers, and an even smaller number to actively manage the whole thing. Everyone else is there to follow a standard model created by other people. And, let's be honest here, it works better that way. One reason that McDonald's does so well is that all their stores have a certain feel, a certain base level of quality (it's low, but it's not rat-infested), and a comforting familiarity to them that comes as the result of them dictating how everything has to be done instead of letting each individual run their own place.

The second problem is that the economy is still recovering from a big world-wide slump. All those European debt crises, the real estate crash in 2008 and ongoing efforts created a glut in the job market. A lot of businesses failed and that meant a lot of already skilled or experienced people needed to find new jobs, which in turn fills up a lot of spaces that might otherwise be taken by new workers.

Third is that, while it's a good thing that every worker gets safe business conditions and certain base salaries and stuff, the legal requirements for businesses mean that it doesn't make a ton of sense to hire people for permanent jobs when you can hire part time or seasonally instead. Permanent jobs these days require some kind of expertise or specialization. That's why education is so important.
    I would have said... over-population... there's only so much you can fidget with the boon and bust cycle, and meet the requirements of the profit demand too... In my least humble observation, and related understanding... there's a much bigger problem at hand...

We don't all get, just what we want... I don't think we should keep expecting to... this may not sound like the typical thing you would hear from me... BUT, be happy if you can get, and work... a job at all...

Work on bettering yourself, as you go... I don't believe that that's pointless at all... I just think that we need more realistic considerations, and to stop bull-shitting ourselves over (what I see as) the greater realities...

My first official employment job, was with McDonald's... and it was actually a pretty good experience... I don't eat their food anymore though... if I could get, and manage a job there now... I would... but yeah, it's fucked... oh well, we still have lives to live as best we can...

That's all you can do, and that's all that should be asked of you... what you don't know is... in one of those crappy jobs, that you're doing your best at and with... you might just accidentally network yourself into something really pretty good...

But, probably not; if you're being a drudge in it all... no one is going to see mopy, begrudging, lifeless workers... and think, gee! I should hire them, or invite them for dinner... or see if they would be interested in... another job...

Getting dealt a bad hand, is one issue... playing it poorly, is on you... make the best of it...

I mean this as kind of a tough-love, sort of thing...
    I hope that my better intent comes across!
    -Marka
    I'm one of those "over employed" folks who own a college degree, but work a low end retail job. I just try to make the most of it, and take advantage of my employer's willingness to write a schedule that allows me to do volunteer work on the side. It doesn't change the fact that my low salary pretty much keeps me living with my folks at the age of 37, but I also don't have to stress to badly about my job once I clock out.

I do shake my head at some of my co-workers who bitch about their job on social media, but will do NOTHING to improve their lot. Take a look in the mirror, sweetheart.
    Part of it also the ever changing age of the work force. At one time people were able to retire at a good early age and live life to the fullest. Now they must work till they are into or over their 70's. So since the work force is flooded with people that can't retire no one that is coming into the work force can find a good job that they can keep. Just not a good time to be trying to find a career.
    It's free trade it lets big corporation's make there stuff over sea's then bring it in for free.
    We at one time charged for goods imported in .
    Then it was cheaper to make it here.
    So any time the goverment passes a free trade agreement more job's go away .
    For corporate profits not what is good for us people. We had jobs before NAFTA was put into law. How do you like things now.
    Apple for one and other's .
    Hang in there DBM!
    We've all had to take on crappy work to get by, particularly when we're just starting out. My first job was as a cleaner which lasted about two weeks before they laid several of us off. Then I got into the government and did mostly clerical before I went back to school. From what I've seen then, and I think it's still true, is that employer's respond to enthusiasm, energy and new ideas. Also, considering recessionary times, any experience looks good on a resume and prospective employers could certainly look favourably to someone who worked at a McDonald's since it shows the person is not afraid or above taking on this work. Also, no matter where you work, you always stand a chance of making contacts with people who can help you find your way to something better.

Whether it's deciding to remain in the workforce or going back to school, it can take time to formulate a plan that works best for you. Don't get discouraged. You'll figure it out, even if it takes a little time.

Hugs
    I had to get this out there, otherwise it would drive me crazy.

This is what I got from all of the information, and before you ask I made this list with a clear mind,.

1 unless your rich, your dreams are trash and should be given up on.

2 Even if I somehow work my way to getting a college education, the job I want is more or less taken. That in and of itself is a stretch since I bearly afford rent and food with the current job I have, or any I could get with my current education.

3 From what I could tell I'll be that low life piece of crap selling food till I'm thirty. I hate that idea and rather be dead. I would sell myself to science before I give into this idea. I'm better than that.

4 The world is unjust, broken, and doomed. My heart bleeds for the people of world who can't see what is wrong with it. Politician only make the world worse, and only serve themselves. I'm not going full into politics because I would be here ranting for hours.

The only answers I come up with is death, but I love myself too much for that. The second was to give in and die inside. Something else I can't do. The only left over answer is still in the air, but there has to be another one.

I know this is dark conclusion but it was the only thing I could think of for the last few days. I need to meditate on this, and hope a better answer reveals itself.
    Updated 04-Oct-2014 at 04:21 by KryanAshford
    I don't think you're right DarkBabyMagician. Especially if you do go to college. Leave your passions out of it, let's just talk cold hard cash here. Want a pretty good life? Go get a degree from a reputable university in nursing or associated medical care support work. The healthcare field is expanding hugely and skilled professionals (not the doctors) that know how to do the work necessary to maintain medical records and provide first-response triage are very valuable and can make a nice living. You'd probably triple (if not more) your current salary while still having pretty reasonable overall working hours that would let you spend time during evenings and weekends doing activities that you like.

Other training that would lead to similar results might be getting a degree in accounting, hotel or other service management, or getting an insurance broker's license. We're not talking love and glamour here, but there are plenty of programs in professional training that will enable you to live comfortably, work a career for a long time, and do stuff you like in your own time too.

As you know, I've read your other thread, and I appreciate that there are some things you'd rather do and would feel much more strongly about. But considering your current situation is unhappy and poor and you're sounding pretty nihilistic about ever being able to be both happy and wealthy, you might consider just going for a little bit wealthy and happier during your off time.

Food for thought.
    I don't agree DarkBabyMagicain, I think you're still just at the first stage of trying to identify what you want to do with your life. I know I've mentioned it several times already, but you've just left an abusive home with a father who really did damage to your confidence and feelings of self worth. The fact that you left that home behind and have now started to think of going back to college or dream about how you see your life unfolding shows how strong you are, so again, take some time before making your decisions. I think people here are trying to give you the best practical advice possible based on experience, but I really think you should talk to a college counsellor about your skills and let them help you identify where and how your skills and talents fit into their curriculum. They can also let you know what programs are available to assist you financially, such as loans and grants. If you're determined to do something you will find a way.

I can tell you that I felt exactly the same way you feel when I decided to go back to school. The reason I finally saw it through was because I was just miserable getting up to go work every morning. It was boring, mundane and repetitive. After years of trying to 'fit in' I realized that I wasn't cut out for that kind of work and that I was never going to be happy. I went back to school because I didn't think I could be any worse off than I was, even if school didn't work out. I felt I was better off to try and risk failure rather than stay and just be miserable for the rest of my life

I believe you can reach your goals through a pragmatic, thoughtful approach:

People here can give advice but it is up to you to determine what you want to do with your life and how much you want to do it.
    Identify clearly what you want and identify the resources available to help you get there.
    Determine if you should jump in with both feet or start slowly.
    Don't let anyone tell you (including yourself) that you can't do something regardless of the employment market. It may take time, but if you have the tenacity and perseverance, you will get there. That doesn't mean being reckless, it just means making your decisions with the help of counsellors and professionals who want to see you succeed.

ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.