View RSS Feed

Cottontail

Here we go! (Probably)

Rate this Entry
In my April blog, I mentioned that my wife and I were preparing to relocate, get new jobs, etc. Well, the relocation bit is about to begin. We listed our house for sale three weeks ago, and just this morning approved an offer.

I'm never quite ready for these things, and although there are so many great times ahead, it's hard to let go of a home without fixating on the past and the might-have-beens. Our nearly-ten-year-old daughter was two years old when we moved in, and our six-year-old son has never known another home. Most of the memories I have of my kids are attached to this house, as are more than half the memories I have of my marriage. I suck at moving on, what can I say?

So, this offer comes in this morning, and it was basically a list-price offer, so there was no ignoring it. We are "pending inspection" now. Naturally, I had put off a bit of cleaning, and so I had to "cram for the exam" tonight. I spent four hours down in our crawlspace -- long pants, long-sleeve shirt, gloves, hood, mask, ... in 100-degree heat. Ugh. I feel dead. My knees are so weak from squatting and crawling that I can barely stand now. But! The crawlspace is nice and tidy now. I didn't much relish the thought of spending my evening scattering the hobo spiders and fixing insulation on the ducts, but... it feels really good to be done!

We've identified a few nearby apartment options that'll allow us to keep the kids in the school they've been attending while my wife and I begin the search for new jobs. Next spring, we leave town. It was easy to say that I was going to do this. Actually doing it is... hard.

It'll work out.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Very exciting but also sad to be leaving the place with all those associated memories. I hope it all works out for the best!
    I can definitely understand the feeling. I just recently relocated at the beginning of July, something that was planned for over a year. The planning and deciding to move was fairly easy. However like you, actually doing it was rather hard. I left the area that I grew up in and lived around most of my life, except for 6 years after high school when I went off to college.

I was rather surprised by how much moving affected me, since I've left the area before. I even moved to the same city I went to college in, so I know it well. I suppose a lot of the feeling comes from it feeling a lot more permanent this time.

Best of luck with your move and everything involved!
    Thanks, guys. It'll be a huge relief just to get this sale done. One thing at time, I guess!

Kale, like you, I'm leaving the area where I grew up. Except for the four years I was away at college, I've always lived within 30 minutes (by car) of my parents' house. Now it'll be about two hours -- not exactly "far away," but like you said, there's the matter of it being permanent.

It's so easy to take things for granted. I know it will be good for me to revisit many of these things in the coming months. But, like so much health food, it's unlikely to taste all that great going down.
    Hope the inspection and sale goes through okay. Now the fun begins. Packing up all the stuff and deciding what to keep and what goes. Hope you weren't too much of a pack rat. I would imagine it'll require renting a storage shed. Good luck and don't hide your diapers too good that you can't find them.
    Heheh... Yeah, I'm not too much of a pack rat, but a family of four can end up with quite a collection unintentionally! I have some hobbies that take up a lot of space, but I've already liquidated or moved all of my hobby collateral. Most of what's left in the house is furniture and other common stuff.

As I mentioned in my last blog, we already own the house we expect to move into next year, so a lot of stuff can go there straight away. Still, as the school year is about to start, we've decided to stay nearby in an apartment until next spring -- bit of a complicated plan, but I think it'll be cool.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.