View RSS Feed

sirscience

Blog #6 still trying to get the hang of the blog.

Rate this Entry
So i failed to post something last week, which obligates me to do it this week.

I don't have any thing to report personally. So I have decided to see if we can get a conversation started.

this weeks topic : Man, Inherently Good/or Evil? part one because this is going to have to be longer than one post .

Of late Humanity has been making some very significant strides in the fields of science. even in the last 100 years we have made staggering finds that have revolutionized every aspect of human life. A few recent examples include Graphene, Growing human organs, and well anything coming out of the LHC. Thorium is a fairly old discovery that is beginning to make traction now.

When i think of the ramifications of these technologies, I have so much hope for humanity. Graphene is going to completely changes the way we are able to do computing, thorium is a power source that with the right research, has the potential to provide unlimited FREE energy. These two pieces of tech alone when brought together are so amazingly awesome that we could actually solve the energy crisis, among other things.

When we start looking into body parts being grown and successfully implanted, we begin to realize that we might be able to eliminate things that hold people back. Its theoretically possible that this tech combined with small amounts of gene modification, we could possibly eliminate things we can only treat now. Imagine a world where we could cure Schizophrenia, fix chemical imbalances that cause depression, etc.

Some of you will read this and say " this is bull", or " that's science fiction". You couldn't be further from the truth. People We are living in an amazing future with so much possibility, google these things and see for your self-- this is not science fiction any more.

You may be able to sense a small amount of passion in these subjects. And for once i may be living up to my names sake. but this is where the conversation starts.
What if i told you that because Thorium, in theory, could fuel a car for 100 years with just 8 oz of the stuff; it will never see the light of day.
because some dude will loose billions , and billions of dollars off of the use of this tech.

There is info out there that suggests that America discovered this tech and ignored it because it wasn't weponizeable.

our government just came out this week and anounced that global climate change is a real thing, as if we needed them for that.
our government has squashed tech and advancement for the sake of money and war use so much, that they had to make this announcement.

"Whats your point?"- I choose to believe, that man is inherently good. That we choose right over wrong(this is also subjective) most of the time. But things like this make me question this thought process. and some of my religious friends will argue that man is inherently evil and would use things like this to back it.

for the sake of conversation, What do you think. and what are some examples backing up those thoughts.

I think this is going to have to be a multi part conversation because of TL;DR. next week I will try to be more specific on the topic to help as well.
I look forward to every ones thoughts.

and happy first Friday of the month!!!!!
lets party!!!!!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. Marka's Avatar
    Mostly, sirscience...

    This is just far too big for my head right now...



    Quote Originally Posted by sirscience
    Man, Inherently Good/or Evil?
    Without having read much further... I'm inclined to say...literally and figuratively define good and evil first...

    There's a 'Master's" to be contemplated right there alone...

    I'll try to check back again, with fresh eyes and a clearer mind...

    Respectfully,
    -Marka
  2. sirscience's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by Marka
    Mostly, sirscience...

    This is just far too big for my head right now...



    Without having read much further... I'm inclined to say...literally and figuratively define good and evil first...

    There's a 'Master's" to be contemplated right there alone...

    I'll try to check back again, with fresh eyes and a clearer mind...

    Respectfully,
    -Marka
    um you just made me realize how unprepared for this I was...

    I will also come back to this after i have slept, ...what have i started?
  3. Marka's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by sirscience
    um you just made me realize how unprepared for this I was...

    I will also come back to this after i have slept, ...what have i started?
    Perhaps nothing more than what's concluded... But, I tend to speak in riddle after a fashion

    You won't be condemned...pretty sure (<< attempt at humor)...

    Fear not...someone may just merrily come along and answer your question(s) with nigh a bat of an eye...

    But, what will it mean??

    I have hope for humanity too... it's not requisite of understanding a bit of it though...

    Don't be panic'd though... this is exploration... observing your screen-name, and bits of your monologue... I would guess, that you may be seeking definitive answers to what may be at best... very fuzzy-logic...

    Are you intending to pin down some form of concrete and provable response? Though it defies much of what we thought should be... I have made the flip from concrete to abstract including the colloquialisms...

    I hope that I shall not be the bane to your measuring...

    I do still believe in the good... in-spite of all the apparent horrendousness that seems afoot... I tend to believe that I'm not merely duped in my gullibility... that I'm not just shined-on...

    I suspect though...at least part of it...is what you take -n- make of it (notice the pun on shake-n-bake )

    Well, I'm serious, yet I've gone silly at this hour...which BTW, I notice is your hour too... you're not all too North of me!

    Until we've rested...

    -Marka
  4. Trevor's Avatar
    I think that we're inherently good because our notions of what is good are formed by our physical and cultural evolution. Obviously individuals or even groups can do and be evil but it appears that the advantage ultimately lies with goodness and we'll tend that way overall.

    I just came across something possibly relevant, although I think it jumps a bit to a conclusion without really knowing the minds of its subjects: Naughty or Nice? When Does It Begin? - Scientific American (also, big babies in the article pic).
  5. sirscience's Avatar
    -- Marka
    I am not so much trying to find concrete things.
    I think what i was really trying to do is get a sense for how other people feel.
    Until you posed the question, I never had defined good/evil, in an English majors way of definition.(joke about critical thinking)

    Possibly: good things are things that are beneficial and bad are things that are destructive. but even that statement itself is broad and open to interpretation.

    btw thank you for the thought provocation.
    and i find your wording to be enjoyable =3

    --Trevor
    I think this may help the conversation along, and maybe move it into a more narrow conversation. thank you
    props extra for the pic!

    --all
    Maybe i shouldn't be asking whether man is inherently good/evil. maybe the question is, When societal values dictate one thing, why is it so easy to break those the further up the food chain you get?

    in other words, if we were to tell the average person about the tech i have mentioned.
    1.their mind would be blown that this exists.
    2. they would ask why hasn't this been implemented.

    To the average person something like this seems like a no brainier.
    but for some reason the "good" choice is not being made further up.
    We do see some people out there with the means, making beneficial choices.
    and we see far more people out there doing the opposite

    we know on a level these choices are basically money driven, but why does it have to be.

    I apologize, i am having a very terrible trying to articulate this subject. I This really is abstract.

    My answer to my question is this.
    right now money defines the actions of those who have the ability to influence. this has led us to an increasingly bleak future. I know this is cooky sounding but, i feel this is only going to get worse.
    I am not naive enough to think that we could stop needing money and move for the betterment of humanity . But i also know that i am not the only person with this though process. so then why is there no middle ground.
    The "good" choices seem so obvious.

    to give you an insight real quick, the thing going on about Net Neutrality is really on my mind of late. and i feel that that is another example of the wrong decisions being made.

    am i maybe calling out capitalism, as an inherently evil concept?

    maybe these conversations are better over coffee or beer...
  6. Marka's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor
    I think that we're inherently good because our notions of what is good are formed by our physical and cultural evolution. Obviously individuals or even groups can do and be evil but it appears that the advantage ultimately lies with goodness and we'll tend that way overall.

    I just came across something possibly relevant, although I think it jumps a bit to a conclusion without really knowing the minds of its subjects: Naughty or Nice? When Does It Begin? - Scientific American (also, big babies in the article pic).
    From Trevor's link to this article... I enjoyed how that was written, and it does give me pause to wonder too... as I have before... I have hurt people before...but I can't think of maybe 3 times when I wanted to hurt someone...and did...

    I am temporarily struck by this line:


    This is why the constitutions of our nations should be grounded in the constitution of our nature.
    That's profound, and I tend to agree with that sentiment... I'm not sure of the practicality...

    The whole concept of evil and good... some things that seem so of either... are more contextually dependent... Others yet, inherent...

    Why do some people having experienced horrors... repeat their experiences on others, while some explicitly avoid that?

    Regression seems to bring us comfort... does it also influences us to be comforting? ... are we reverting to a pre-constructed social 'norm' to get back to what the article would lead us to believe...is an innate tendency to goodness? And having done that...do we tend more than the non-AB/DL to be comforting to others?...

    This theory, if not discovery...does tend to lend credence to a philosophy... that given the correct opportunities...we will all tend to choose from the better...

    That's probably enough from me for now...

    -Marka
  7. Marka's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by sirscience
    -- Marka
    I am not so much trying to find concrete things.
    I think what i was really trying to do is get a sense for how other people feel.
    Until you posed the question, I never had defined good/evil, in an English majors way of definition.(joke about critical thinking)

    Possibly: good things are things that are beneficial and bad are things that are destructive. but even that statement itself is broad and open to interpretation.

    btw thank you for the thought provocation.
    and i find your wording to be enjoyable =3

    --Trevor
    I think this may help the conversation along, and maybe move it into a more narrow conversation. thank you
    props extra for the pic!

    --all
    Maybe i shouldn't be asking whether man is inherently good/evil. maybe the question is, When societal values dictate one thing, why is it so easy to break those the further up the food chain you get?

    in other words, if we were to tell the average person about the tech i have mentioned.
    1.their mind would be blown that this exists.
    2. they would ask why hasn't this been implemented.

    To the average person something like this seems like a no brainier.
    but for some reason the "good" choice is not being made further up.
    We do see some people out there with the means, making beneficial choices.
    and we see far more people out there doing the opposite

    we know on a level these choices are basically money driven, but why does it have to be.

    I apologize, i am having a very terrible trying to articulate this subject. I This really is abstract.

    My answer to my question is this.
    right now money defines the actions of those who have the ability to influence. this has led us to an increasingly bleak future. I know this is cooky sounding but, i feel this is only going to get worse.
    I am not naive enough to think that we could stop needing money and move for the betterment of humanity . But i also know that i am not the only person with this though process. so then why is there no middle ground.
    The "good" choices seem so obvious.

    to give you an insight real quick, the thing going on about Net Neutrality is really on my mind of late. and i feel that that is another example of the wrong decisions being made.

    am i maybe calling out capitalism, as an inherently evil concept?

    maybe these conversations are better over coffee or beer...
    sirscience,

    You got this in...while I was dabbling elsewhere... and then posted what I just did, by provocation to Trevors thoughts and link...

    Money...what is that...Sorry, I tend to believe that all things complicated, are comprised of may things simple...so I'll revert to a tad bit of concrete thinking..if you'll please pardon my vacillation...

    Money, is as I understand it...strictly symbolic... though there seems quite a lot of more literal interpretation...

    And then I got distracted (saw something shiny)... this is definitely a beer conversation for me

    I'll try to regroup my thoughts... it is abstract...but there's tangibles too...

    I'll return shortly (hopefully),
    -Marka
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.