View RSS Feed

Transmissions From Within A Cloud Of Absinthe

Not Very Likely

Rate this Entry
I went for a walk yesterday. In my world, that means about 20 miles around our local state park. As I wander, I think. About what? Anything that comes to mind. About halfway through this little adventure, I came to an odd realization. Despite being gay and wanting a relationship, I have never met another guy that I would enjoy spending more than about 15 minutes with. Why? Lots of reasons. I look at it as a side-effect of having been raised by a coven of lesbians(i think that's the right term for a group of 'em) and the country effect. What is you ask? Well, the country effect is my own term for what you get if you're raised in a small rural community. It all boils down to creating a gay male who likes backpacking, hunting, cold beer, trucks and flannel shirts. I'm a butch lesbian crossed with Teddy Roosevelt. This is unfortunate since most men I've attempted to go out with are turned off by dirt, blood, and a high probability of bodily harm. I on the other hand, get turned off by clubs, electronic music, and anyone, man or woman, who doesn't know how to get down dig deep and fight(figuratively of course). If I could find someone like Hugh Jackman's character in "Australia" who like snogging guys in addition to sleeping rough and riding horses, I'd be set.

That doesn't match my experience. I think there's going to be a range of interests out there for any group of people and you'll just have to keep looking for someone who can enjoy the things that are important to you or is important enough to you that you don't mind the lack.
    There's 7 billion people in the world. Odds are pretty good there's someone compatible if you're patient enough to find them, and that's what you really want. A couple thoughts:

1. Be careful what you wish for. Given your self description, you might well find that being with someone fulltime would make you crazy/homicidal/suicidal in short order. Or less extreme, you'd want to break it off and go back to solo 20 mile walks. At your age, you see the rest of the world pairing up and you think that's what you're supposed to want. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

2. Compatible doesn't mean "the same". Everyone has different strengths, weaknesses, and blind spots. A partner with a different set can cover for the things you don't handle well. There is a lot of day-to-day in between the things you 'like' to do. Its really nice to be able to punt something you don't like to a partner who is more than happy to be all over it. There is a certain logic to the man - woman thing (not gay bashing here, just pointing out the logic, butch-frilly works too if you're more comfortable with that)

30+ years after the fact, I often think I might have been happier staying solo. On the other hand, I'd probably be dead by now because my risk-taking side would have had nothing to rein it in. It is what it is.

A young couple who lives near Maxx Junior leaps to mind. They came over with junior and his wife one day to let their young son and dog take advantage of our large yard. She's 6 foot plus and buff, he's average height, non-descript. She sat with junior and me talking sports and drinking beer. He talked decorating with our ladies. I wondered if he might be gay but never figured it out. Whatever, it seems to work for them. Point is, don't pigeonhole yourself, or think you need to find someone just like you. I know for sure that living with a clone of me would be a disaster.
    Updated 08-May-2014 at 14:23 by Maxx
    I'll grant, you both have a lot of good points, But I still find it frustrating when all of the available men in this town are a bunch of gay stereotypes. Is there someone out there that I'll find and have a relationship with? Yeah. I just wish they were a little easier to find. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.