View RSS Feed

SnowBlitz

6 Months of Calm Hands.

Rate this Entry
A few may remember that last year I had made a post in the Mature Topics section of the site about a disorder I have. To those that don't here's a basic run down of my what it is I deal with:

Dermatillomania: Excoriation disorder (also known as dermatillomania, skin-picking disorder, neurotic excoriation, acne excoriee, pathologic skin picking (PSP), compulsive skin picking (CSP) or psychogenic excoriation) is an impulse control disorder characterized by the repeated urge to pick at one's own skin, often to the extent that damage is caused. Research has suggested that the urge to pick is similar to an obsessive compulsive disorder but others have argued that for some the condition is more akin to substance abuse disorder. The two main strategies for treating this condition are pharmacological and behavioral intervention.

*I took that directly from Wikipedia because it says more bout it than I can really.

For a long time I obsessively picked at my skin, every day, every hour. Constant picking and scratching. Sometimes in the grips of my disorder I'd injure my skin to the point where it hurt to even put the slightest of pressure onto my feet. (This was the area I relentlessly harmed.)

And well today is a personal victory. Today is 6 months with calm hands, 6 months with no extreme pain in my feet or on my hands. 6 whole months. I'm ecstatic, I will struggle the rest of my life with this condition but each time I can redirect the urges to something else, I feel it's a victory.

Victory~!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When I was 11 I think I started picking at my scalp until it bled. I usually don't do it to that extent anymore but still like to pick at dandruff, my psoriasis etc.
    6 months! That's a wonderful accomplishment. I struggle with dermatillomania as well, but on my fingers. It's an embarrassing problem I've had for years. Please keep us updated on how it's going for you!
    Congratulations! Winning a struggle like this is the most bad*ss thing a person can do. You're awesome!
    CONGRADULATIONS!!!!! I hope you keep your "calm hands"

I have something very similar; trichotillomania. It's a hair pulling disorder. I've had it for half of my life now (I'm 20, started when I was 9), and I know what it's like to have "calm hands". Through out my life, for some reason, I would go through phases where I just stopped pulling hair, and I thought I was "over" it, but then when someone stressful would happen I would start again haha.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, I just wish that my "calm hands" would have stayed a loooooooooot longer than it did

Quote Originally Posted by Lilicup
    CONGRADULATIONS!!!!! I hope you keep your "calm hands"

I have something very similar; trichotillomania. It's a hair pulling disorder. I've had it for half of my life now (I'm 20, started when I was 9), and I know what it's like to have "calm hands". Through out my life, for some reason, I would go through phases where I just stopped pulling hair, and I thought I was "over" it, but then when someone stressful would happen I would start again haha.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, I just wish that my "calm hands" would have stayed a loooooooooot longer than it did

Someone once told me that relapse is part of the very long and winding road to recovery, I've lived by that since I believe you'll conquer your disorder one day too!
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.