View RSS Feed

Off Topic Music tip

Rate this Entry
I posted this to my Face book and I thought it would be cool if I posted it here.

If anyone is considering learning Violin or Cello here is my tip. A lot of music teachers are going to want you to learn how to read sheet music first and for good reason. The more fluent you are at reading music the faster you go from sight reading to actually playing a song.

If your playing piano this will be easier because you don't have to worry about hitting the notes at the right pitch. If you get the wrong pitch its not your fault it just means that you have to call the piano tuner. This is why I stress that the first instrument that anyone should learn is piano.

Lets face it. Everyone is going to want to play a certain instrument first before they learn the basics. I can't blame them because I wanted to learn guitar. I had a simple electronic key board that I would mess around on during all my school years. Piano seemed a little dry after listening to the 100 songs that was programmed on it like a thousand times each.

Here is my tip if you really want to go strait to Violin or cello use flash cards to name the notes on the staff that your using. Trying to play sheet music right off the back is nigh imposable especially if you are just in your first year with your instrument. Forget about playing sheet music that uses anything other than your open strings.

In fact your first couple of practices by yourself should be with a chromatic tuner in a silent room to practice scales. Don't worry about nailing your notes in green focus on making the tuner display the note name that your trying to play. I really was not efficient at this even with stickers until many hours of practicing scales.

After doing this for my main focus of almost all of my practices within the first couple of months I was able to remove my stickers a couple at a time. I had one sticker for a while and then removed it. I still have times when I need to hear a note on my piano every now and then to see if my fingers are lined up but I no longer need stickers. I now am learning new positions by ear and by my cello teachers instruction.

This is pretty cool! Thanks for the insight!
    I played Cello all through high school. It is a beautiful instrument. Now I'm teaching myself violin, mainly because it is easier to travel with. I hope you enjoy your cello - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.