View RSS Feed

egor

I need to brag!!!!

Rate this Entry
So my wife gives me hell every holiday because all I say is I want money or Amazon cards to buy coins for my coin collecting hobby. I spend a good amount each year buying coins and sorting through them and trading and looking for more, because on day I am going to find the excellent find.

We unfortunately went through hard times several years ago and I learned that I am pouring money down a rat hole. Foreign coins are only worth $5 us/kilo. You have to have something extremely rear or in mint condition for it to have any value. Even silver and gold coins are usually only worth their melt weight.

One of the things that I did with my dad was work on his coin collection and it has a very strong emotional tie because of that. I devastated me when we were robbed in 1981 and the coin collection was stolen. (My dad was very sick from the time I was 8 until he passed in 1979).

Last fathers day the kids gave me $50 in cards and I bought 5 lbs of coins on Amazon. This lead to having to buy yet another book for coins from 1701 to 1800, so that I could see if I could identify some of these very worn specimens that that I have acquired.

Well this is the first time I have gone through my collection with the new book. I got excited last night because I found that one was a 1797-8 5 centimes form France.

I just hit the OMG factor. I had one that did not match anything and I was looking around to see if there was any clue what so ever to this hand full of culls that I have.

Several months ago I had a gold coin that I could not match to anything, however it fit a 1876 guinea except there was an extra word on it. It turned out to be a gilded lead slug that was a fake.

So need less to say I am being very careful about what I assume.

Anyway I new this one coin was British, but the name did not make any since. I looked and sized and it fit a Farthing. I looked again and again and it still did not match anything. The name was clear but the date not 100% clear.

The local coin broker told me how to enhance the date with out damaging the coin and then look at it from several angles with the loop to get a good reading of what the coin has printed. It is either this or spend several thousand dollars to have this scanning microscope technic that they can read stuff off of worn metal.

Getting to the point. It turns out that the date is 1672, not 1 72. Oh good yet another book. Oh wait, Search engines!!!!!!!!

BINGO

1672 King Charles II copper farthing. The last one auctioned in similar conditions to the one I have sold in action for $150 us.

SCORE!!!!!

So dear how is that for a $50 purchase?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good job!
    That's cool, but I wouldn't want to sell it
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.