View RSS Feed

The Misadventures of an Adult Little~

I wish i really was little...

Rate this Entry
So, pretty soon I have to go to the dentist. I know they are only going to get x-rays of my teeth. The problem is how absolutely terrified I am of them. It's the point where just thinking about it makes me want to scream and cry. I just can't deal with it whatsoever. My mom told them about my needle phobia too.

I just can't deal with it. I'm freaking out right now. I know I'll have to deal with IVs too, and that's going to be even worse. I had a meltdown at the hospital once over them wanting to put an IV in me. They wanted to hold me down to stick a needle in me to calm me down. =.=

They'll actually be putting my to sleep and pulling my teeth that way. It's the only way they can do it. The insurance won't cover Novacaine or anything. I just don't know what to do. This is why I wish I was a little because then I could go to a pediatric dentist where they are more gentle about things. However, because I'm over eighteen, they could careless about whether I have special needs or not.

I'm terrified, you guys... D:

Yep, dentists are the worst thing ever but hopefully I only had to go 3 times in my life. Just relax, IV's are not bad as they look! ...2 way catheters are worst... good luck!
    Ummm, phobias aren't fully rational, guys. I am an odd duck because I had phobias that went away, so I understand from both sides of the table. So I am sure OP understands dental treatment is good for him, is safe, and so on. As to solutions, he might try hypnosis?

Oh yeah, I had my share of non-trivial mental health treatments, and losing certain phobias was all very well but certainly didn't justify said treatments, which were extreme and had side effects.

You raise the blade, you make the change
    You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane
    You lock the door
    And throw away the key
    There's someone in my head but it's not me. - Pink Floyd
  3. RainbowShy's Avatar I'm a girl. XD

Anyway, that doesn't work for me. I'm not relaxed enough to try anything like that. I'm afraid of just about everything which literally sucks. D: Dentists are at the top of my list. Needles are another thing, and it has gotten worse over the years. That's why I hate IVs because they prick you with a needle in a spot where I'm not used to being poked in. I think that has a lot to do with it too. Not to mention that my anxiety is just too severe to handle normal things. Let's not forget I'm autistic and dyspraxic either.

Anyway, it's not whether it's good or not. The idea of them poking at my teeth with weird tools, straining to keep my mouth open and fearing what goes into my mouth... it doesn't mix. I don't like the idea of it at all, and it frightens me greatly.
    If they put you to sleep, you will not be awake for anything - you won't see or feel or remember a single dentist tool near your mouth, and you won't have to keep your mouth open... all that... you'll be asleep.

I have a phobia of dentists, too. When I went in I was also put to sleep with drugs that made me forget everything. They just sat me in the chair, and gave me medicine to swallow, and they were really nice to me even when I totally started sobbing in fear. They didn't go near me except to ask me to swallow the medicine when I was ready. Then they didn't do anything at all to me until I was under or asleep. In my case I was given something that made me just basically have amnesia and made me very, very calm.

For the phobia about the IV, if they will put it in you, yeah, it sucks. If you cough right when they do it, it will hurt less. Also I don't look myself, or I'll get lightheaded and pale. But for that one, we know it's a fear and it sucks, but for the IV stick we also know that it is over faster. You can literally count down the time that this will suck. Usually the time of ultimate sucking is about 1 minute, from the time they swab your arm to the time they stick the needle in. 1 minute of gritting your teeth, and you'll have won and you'll have succeeded. Doesn't matter that you're afraid - be afraid. Go ahead and tell everyone, holy crap, I'm scared you guys. Talk it out. I've found it helps to express it. For the dentist fear, now, you'll be asleep with no memory of it. Even the next day, you'll remember nothing.

Hope this helps.
    I always bring a lot of comfort items with me. That worked before, but I had a huge freak out during the last time I had to have an IV done. :/ I'll bring about three of my most closest stuffies, my pound puppy (the last thing I have left of my deceased grandfather) and my scarfy. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.