View RSS Feed

AnalogRTO

Farewell to our puppy

Rate this Entry
It's been almost exactly one year since we got a little female puppy, a black lab mix, that we named Zia. She was eight weeks old when we got her.

She was an absolute sweetheart, and chased around the house with my youngest child, thick as thieves. Not as big as our Great Dane (he's 140lbs), she was about 16 tall at the shoulder and 60lbs.

She was scheduled to be spayed today, and we asked the vet to check out one shoulder of hers where she had been limping and not wanting to put weight on it. The phone call came from the vet, recommending that they put her down--in the week and a half since we noticed her starting to limp, bone cancer had eaten her entire left front shoulder and moved into her chest. The vet had to put her under just to take X-rays and didn't want to bring her out since it was such a painful cancer for her. The little girl had no chance at any sort of life from here, with as aggressive as this cancer was they figured she would be gone within two weeks and those two weeks would be nothing but painful.

So unexpected, I think the worst is the devastation I see in the eyes of my 9yo daughter.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's really sad that your Zia was so young, losing a pet is never easy but to something so sudden can't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Strontium
    That's really sad that your Zia was so young, losing a pet is never easy but to something so sudden can't be easy.
    Thanks, Strontium. This was a shock to us, she really had this cancer show up quick and aggressive, it took only two weeks to go from nothing to where it was beyond hope. The vet said it had to be extremely aggressive to take down such a young and otherwise healthy dog. We got to spend a year and three days with her in total.
    I went through some serious depression when I had to put my little man down.

Life really does suck sometimes.
    That's so sad... and I know the feeling too well. I just lost three cats this year. One was seven and the others were only a year old. It's not been a good year.
    It's so sad losing a pet. They give such unconditional love. You have my sympathy.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.