View RSS Feed

Paxy

Stress, banana cereal, and saturday morning cartoons.

Rate this Entry
So this morning I'm going Little for a few hours to try and De-Stress.
I'm freaking out...

My unemployment is due to run out in 2.5 months, and I still don't have a job. I'm trapped in a new kind of "Catch-22."
Now that I have the Job Exp, they want Technical Certifications. I had TRIED to get my Certs when I was working for my last company. Several people did, because those classes and tests are F*ING EXPENSIVE. Our boss made excuses and denied every training request.

Now, it's ruining my chances at finding work. Unlike my former co-workers, I don't have DECADES of Technical experience to fall back in in lieu of having those Certifications.

Also, because I'm in a wheelchair part time and most buildings aren't entirely Handicap Accessible. (As in: they have the parking spots and wheelchair ramps, and bathroom stalls - but that's it. All the doors are Manual) As a handi-CAPABLE Independant Person, I live on my own and don't have an attendant. It also means that if I'm in my wheelchair, I can't get those doors (Including the bathroom doors) open and wheel through. Most places don't allow Technical Operators to work remotely anymore. Plus, because I don't have a college degree (I was one semester shy), it also makes it that much harder.

I'm planning on reaching out to DARS next week and see it they can help me file for Disability. I've never filed for it before, because I AM capable and I desire to work...but it's just getting too hard to find a job. Last year I had to use a weeks worth of vacation because I had spine seize fits or days where I couldn't stand/move and HAD to stay home. Everyone has been telling me for years "I don't know why you aren't on Disability. With everything you deal with you should have that."

So - gonna try for it.

...yeah...in panic mode. I seriously don't know what I'm going to do when October rolls around. I don't want to be evicted. I don't want to live with mom (and have to get rid of Kari, not to mention going back to hiding the AB/DL me), and I SURE AS HELL can't count on my father to help. (He's a jerk anyway, and that's being polite).

So today, I'm staying in my footies with my paci. While watching Sonic The Hedgehog on Netflix (because I don't want to switch out DVDs) and playing with my LEGOS. I also had some banana cereal for breakfast with one of my Little spoons. I'm not sure if eating the Gerber Graduates food is really good for adults or not....but I figure since I'm deficient in B vitamins and Iron normally, if I forego my supplements on Little Food days, and that everything I've read says that toddlers requirements are basically half of an adult (so 60% DV for toddlers would equal 30% DV for adults?) - I figure it won't hurt me too much. Especially if I eat Little Food only once in a while.

Plus...the Gerber Oatmeal and Banana Cereal has potassium (which I need for my legs) and tastes MUCH better than Cream of Wheat. I've tried finding Cream of Rice instead...but no luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cereal.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	18173

Updated 28-Aug-2013 at 19:07 by Paxy

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What is DARS? I would think you should be eligible for SSI. I don't know how long that would take to get. Also are you eligible for an unemployment
    extension?
    To receive disability one must have many years' worth of credits from working. You may be eligible for SSI, but it has income limits. My mother did not qualify for either, because she didn't have enough credits for disability, and her husband(my father) makes too much money for her to receive SSI. The income limit most be very low, because my father only makes around $25,000 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72
    What is DARS? I would think you should be eligible for SSI. I don't know how long that would take to get. Also are you eligible for an unemployment extension?

In Texas, DARS stands for: Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services. They help people find work/apply for Disability/SSI.
    I won't know if I'm eligible for the extension until it runs out - and according to the Benefits website, due to cutbacks its 10% less than the first wave if you do qualify, and its for less time. I'm already paycheck-to-paycheck (more or less) right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine
    To receive disability one must have many years' worth of credits from working. You may be eligible for SSI, but it has income limits. My mother did not qualify for either, because she didn't have enough credits for disability, and her husband(my father) makes too much money for her to receive SSI. The income limit most be very low, because my father only makes around $25,000 a year.

I've had Spastic and Ataxic cerebral palsy since I was born in '84 prematurely with a 2% survival rate, in and out of Physical Therapy from Ages 3-18. My 4 patient files at the hospital I was born in are over 3 inches thick each. Not to mention the files from the physical therapist and the orthopedic surgeon I had to see until I was 15. At 5 I was diagnosed with scoliosis, from age 14 I've had degenerative arthritis from the neck down because of the CP/scoliosis combo, and last year an MRI found Degenerative Disk Disease in my lower spine and neck.

I've been working/holding jobs since I was 22 (seven years), and I live alone. I have no other sources of Income. Once the Unemployment stops, if I can't find work, then I will get evicted from my apartment and become homeless.

According to the SSA - under their "How do we determine if you are disabled: #3 if your condition is found in the list of disabling conditions" it states:

For each of the major body systems, we maintain a list of medical conditions that are so severe they automatically mean that you are disabled. If your condition is not on the list, we have to decide if it is of equal severity to a medical condition that is on the list. If it is, we will find that you are disabled.
    Cerebral Palsy is listed, and the things I deal with daily (pain, intense muscle spasms, weak muscles, etc..) have effected my ability to work and has forced me to call in sick/use up all my sick and vacation time, and on more than one occasion - work through excruciating debilitating pain while in tears because (during 3years at an awful job) my boss REFUSED to let me go home and threatened to fire me, even when I was vomiting and couldn't see because I hurt so much.

Plus - SSA always denies people the first time. I've been through that already, that's why I'm getting help this time.
    Seven years of work is not enough to receive ''disability'' payments, but it sounds like you would qualify for ''SSI'' payments.

Seven years of work is not enough to receive ''disability'' payments, but it sounds like you would qualify for ''SSI'' payments.
    From what I've read - I won't be able to live off SSI. I have over $1600 worth of living expenses bills every month (rent, electric, water, car payment, car insurance, etc...) Which is not including gas for the car, my medication, food or my asthma inhalers or doc visits. Plus, that's also not including the therapy the doc has ordered, that I can't afford because I don't have medical insurance.

I'm screwed.
    Have you applied for Medicaid? The welfare office may also help you apply for SSI. (The only reason my mom applied for disability is because the welfare office made her do it to keep her Medicaid.)
    I just want you to know that I support you and wish things could be better for you. Please don't take any of this as intrusive advice! I don't know your situation, just would like to toss up anything I know that might be remotely helpful.

Is there any way that you could change your living situation to be able to live on less? Could you move? With the oil boom, rent is sky-high here in West Texas, but companies are also paying incredible wages for what SHOULD be "minimum-wage jobs," and nearly every single business I see is desperate to hire on. I'm not sure where you are in the state, but if you could find a situation where you could live with someone (to split rent) and either get on to disability or find a job there -- maybe it would be more livable than this? Could you maybe take on a roommate where you are?

And if I might bring up something job-wise, that might be a change from what you've been doing ... If you're looking for work-at-home jobs, both of my parents did computer/phone jobs from home for several years. Tech support for Dish Network, then for DirecTV, and customer service for QVC (or HSN or one of those). A lot of people dislike customer service/sales jobs, which I understand and can respect. But, if your home is a safer & more functional environment for you than a job outside the home would be -- & especially if it could prevent other major upheaval in your life! -- it might be something to look into.

Bestest wishes dear <3
    The problem with SSI is that payment varies by state, and they do look at your work history to "see" if you are able to work. You parents should have applied for your disability back when you were turning 18, that way their payments would have qualified you for SSDI based on their history.

I don't know about automatic qualifiers but from what I've seen Soc Sec likes to deny you first and pretty much make you appeal before they even consider your case. I don't know about physical disabilities so yours may be different but I'd at least reach out to local or state level disability advocacy groups to see what is likely to happen based on their experiences.

--sf

Have you applied for Medicaid? The welfare office may also help you apply for SSI. (The only reason my mom applied for disability is because the welfare office made her do it to keep her Medicaid.)
    I haven't, but it's something I will be looking into.
    SSD will deny the first claim them get a lawyer. Now for job training in your case getting your significations You might want to check with community collages . Most states have grants for that.

Looking at your cost of living SSD would not even cover half of that. I get 712 month.

I agree that you need to reach out to the disability advocates

Quote Originally Posted by FaennaJo
    I just want you to know that I support you and wish things could be better for you. Please don't take any of this as intrusive advice! I don't know your situation, just would like to toss up anything I know that might be remotely helpful.

Is there any way that you could change your living situation to be able to live on less? Could you move? With the oil boom, rent is sky-high here in West Texas, but companies are also paying incredible wages for what SHOULD be "minimum-wage jobs," and nearly every single business I see is desperate to hire on. I'm not sure where you are in the state, but if you could find a situation where you could live with someone (to split rent) and either get on to disability or find a job there -- maybe it would be more livable than this? Could you maybe take on a roommate where you are?

And if I might bring up something job-wise, that might be a change from what you've been doing ... If you're looking for work-at-home jobs, both of my parents did computer/phone jobs from home for several years. Tech support for Dish Network, then for DirecTV, and customer service for QVC (or HSN or one of those). A lot of people dislike customer service/sales jobs, which I understand and can respect. But, if your home is a safer & more functional environment for you than a job outside the home would be -- & especially if it could prevent other major upheaval in your life! -- it might be something to look into.

Bestest wishes dear <3
    If I take on a flatemate it could effect my eligibility for getting help (because of the income of the household. sometimes it doesn't matter that people are not family/lovers, but rather living at the same address) but I will be looking for a cheaper apartment. The biggest issue I have with that is the sq ft requirements. I need enough space to get around with my wheelchair. Most living places that have enough space & cheaper rent are usually senior citizen living spaces - and require tenants to be 65+ in age (I've asked ).

I haven't checked for those kind of jobs...but I will start looking

Quote Originally Posted by Starfox
    The problem with SSI is that payment varies by state, and they do look at your work history to "see" if you are able to work. You parents should have applied for your disability back when you were turning 18, that way their payments would have qualified you for SSDI based on their history.

I don't know about automatic qualifiers but from what I've seen Soc Sec likes to deny you first and pretty much make you appeal before they even consider your case. I don't know about physical disabilities so yours may be different but I'd at least reach out to local or state level disability advocacy groups to see what is likely to happen based on their experiences.

--sf
    Yeah...I know. My mom had been told to apply for Disability for me back when I was a kid, but all my medical stuff/hospital visits nearly maxed our health insurance so we couldn't afford the lawyer to appeal. Plus, she told me she wanted me to have "as normal a life as possible" ...while I appreciate her sentiment - it's not doing me any favors now.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen
    SSD will deny the first claim them get a lawyer. Now for job training in your case getting your significations You might want to check with community collages . Most states have grants for that.

Looking at your cost of living SSD would not even cover half of that. I get 712 month.

I agree that you need to reach out to the disability advocates

Yeah $712 doesn't even cover my apartment rent.
    That's why I'm getting help from DARS. They can help with all that including stuff like food stamps, and medicare.
    Also, they help find work for the disabled.
    Most Senior Citizens living places are also for the disabled . Please check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxy
    Yeah...I know. My mom had been told to apply for Disability for me back when I was a kid, but all my medical stuff/hospital visits nearly maxed our health insurance so we couldn't afford the lawyer to appeal. Plus, she told me she wanted me to have "as normal a life as possible" ...while I appreciate her sentiment - it's not doing me any favors now.
    This I do not get. You wouldn't tell a blind person that they can't use a guide dog or a walking stick just so they could "have a normal life". If your hospital visit were so frequent you had inches thick files, plus it was maxing out your family's policy, what was she expecting, for you to suddenly no longer need hospital visits, or be swimming in medical bills that "some" normal people have to be doing?

I don't mean to attack your mother personally Paxy as I don't know her period, but things like these make me really wonder to what extent we can call ourselves "intelligent".

--sf

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen
    Most Senior Citizens living places are also for the disabled . Please check into that.

I did when I was looking for apartments in the first place 2 years ago. All the ones around here require tenants to be 65+, believe me I tried. I'll check again though, maybe something has changed in the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfox
    This I do not get. You wouldn't tell a blind person that they can't use a guide dog or a walking stick just so they could "have a normal life". If your hospital visit were so frequent you had inches thick files, plus it was maxing out your family's policy, what was she expecting, for you to suddenly no longer need hospital visits, or be swimming in medical bills that "some" normal people have to be doing?

I don't mean to attack your mother personally Paxy as I don't know her period, but things like these make me really wonder to what extent we can call ourselves "intelligent".

--sf

...welcome to my life Starfox.
    Paxy, so sorry to hear about all of this. I cannot offer help on this issue, as I don't know much about how SSI and disability work, only my thoughts and prayers. But those you have. Meanwhile it sounds as if you're getting some pretty decent advice. Good luck. I hate that this country makes people go through hoops like this in order to survive.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.