View RSS Feed

JayJ

Pacific Rim

Rate this Entry
I enjoyed it. Didn't know what to expect and thought it would be trash. I guess I set my bar so low it exceeded.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Really? It was good? I've been dying to see it because it reminds me of Gundam, which is a popular anime series.
    If it wasn't del Toro, I'd likely steer clear, but I usually find his moves very interesting. He gives fantastic DVD commentary. I could listen to him for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie
    Really? It was good? I've been dying to see it because it reminds me of Gundam, which is a popular anime series.
    Depends on how you define "good" I guess. It's fun at least!

I don't know if these were intentional references or not. Here's what I think Del Toro nodded to:

"Neon Genesis Evangelion" (1995) - This is the biggest one. There are two pilots per Jaeger (mech). One controls the right side, the other the left. They have to mentally sync up in order to move the mech. There was even a scene where the two main characters put on their helmets and orange fluid washes down their front plate. Not filling up, but draining? Don't know what it did exactly in the movie. Made me think of the LCL fluid.
    The one main girl, Mako, made me think of Rei. Japan thought this too and the Japanese dub will have the Rei voice actress dub Mako.

"Votoms" (1983) - The Russian team had helmets with 3 eyes (on right) like the Votom mechs.

"Gamera vs Guiron" (1969) - One monster in Pacific Rim looks like it has a giant axe on top of it's head. Which made me think of Guiron, a monster who has a giant blade for a head.

"Giant Robo" (1991) - It's kind of a spoiler for Robo. I won't say what it is. If you've seen Giant Robo, you'll know what I'm thinking of.

"Robot Jox" (1990) - Jaegar pilots wear suits wire up to the machine. Nothing special at first. One of the characters is named Hercules? Eh, a lot of fictional work uses that as a nickname. When the pilots/Jaegars slam their fist into their other hand, and one happens to be called Hercules, it made me think of the cheese fest that is Robot Jox. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZfCY4K2ZQ

There were a few other things. Can't remember them now. If none of these turn out to be references you can write it up as a lie, a subconscious thing, sly work of the crew/designers, or "nothing is *truly* original."

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor
    If it wasn't del Toro, I'd likely steer clear, but I usually find his moves very interesting. He gives fantastic DVD commentary. I could listen to him for hours.
    I'll have to check out more of his work then. I love a good commentary.
    I finally got around to seeing it and enjoyed it. It's a more straightforward action flick than he's done lately, but there was enough different stuff going on that it was still enjoyable. Nice to see something that wasn't a sequel or reboot of something else.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.