View RSS Feed

Work, work, work...

Rate this Entry
Original Post here.

It seems there is a strong divide between older and younger generations here and the duration with which they stick with a job. Not that I necessarily think frequently skipping between careers is a bad thing, especially since today's youth have so many opportunities available to them.

One of the common problems I see today is that so many people think that they need to find their "calling". Like there is one particular thing that when they find it will be heralded by the trumpets of angels and they will suddenly have complete clarity of purpose. They focus so much on this myth that opportunity after opportunity passes them by since it doesn't quite fit their romantic notion of how their life is going to play out. Their tunnel vision blinds them to possibilities and they end up old and filled with regret, incorrectly thinking that things would have been different if they had a plan.

I'm a firm believer that being a wide-achiever is much more important than being a high-achiever. Sure a jack-of-all-trades is a master-of-nothing, but one of the most crucial skills a person can have is people skills. Being able to relate to anybody and everybody is a unique thing to have, and it does take many years develop, but it is so, so worth it.

But being a young, twenty-something year old in today's society is really scary. All of a sudden you realise you are in control of defining your life, and your choices really start to affect your future. People start asking you what your plan is. God I hate that. Well, I'm willing to bet twenty bucks that those people asking about my "plan" are projecting their own feelings of what they should have done at this age onto me, because chances are they didn't know what they were doing in their twenties either.

Life is an interesting adventure where we get to run around doing and learning new things on a really neat planet for a while before we turn back into stardust. Keep your mind open to whatever opportunities present themselves and be willing to work your butt off for them. It doesn't have to light your soul on fire at first, but the very act of working hard to succeed at anything will make you confident, happy, and better able to take advantage of other opportunities in the future.

A young person today will probably not get a career related to what they study at a tertiary level. They will probably not have the same career at forty that they had at twenty-five. The only thing that a young person today needs to develop, the one thing that will really determine their future, is work ethic and character.

But above all else, work to live, don't live to work, right?

Updated 03-May-2013 at 08:59 by Oateson

A Thought for Food , Reputably Good

Comments - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.