View RSS Feed

FauxPas

48 Frames Per Second?

Rate this Entry
Got around to actually watching the Hobbit tonight and I did so in 3D High Frame Rate to see what all the buzz was about. Please note what follows is my opinion, having gone in a few times on my breaks and seen what the non high frame rate looks like, I have to say at the start of the movie I was rather impressed with how beautiful the scenery was. My first thoughts were "Is this going to become the norm for filming movies?" The best way I can describe it, is that you are looking through a window (being the screen) directly onto the movie set. It really did feel like I was there.

Then came seeing the characters move, I quickly noticed in the opening scene when he is dipping his pen in ink, how unnatural the movement looked, it looked as if someone had punched Fast Forward on the remote. Since this scene was so up close of just his hand, I thought maybe that was the reason why. I was so wrong, every movement of every character seemed to move to fast. Parts where someone is running and jumping over things, look immediately fake, as it seems they required little effort to make it over the object.

This effect did not occur in all the scenes, but is drastically noticeable throughout the entire film. Overall I enjoyed the movie, look forward to the next one as well as wanting to re watch the original 3 LOTR's movies, now that I have some back story, I am hoping that I won't be so confused and can actually get through them.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Maxx Jr was not terribly impressed. He's of the opinion that they spent an awful lot of time just on "guys walking somewhere", perhaps to fill enough time to make three movies out of it. I'll still probably see it in the next couple weeks, but feel no urgency on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx
    Maxx Jr was not terribly impressed. He's of the opinion that they spent an awful lot of time just on "guys walking somewhere", perhaps to fill enough time to make three movies out of it. I'll still probably see it in the next couple weeks, but feel no urgency on the matter.
    I felt as if it had a bit more action than fellowship. But seeing as I have never seen all of Fellowship, I need to re watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog
    I felt as if it had a bit more action than fellowship. But seeing as I have never seen all of Fellowship, I need to re watch it.
    All the action comes in the second half of the film, the first is mostly walking and talking.
    I'm looking forward to seeing The Hobbit. I can't believe it's three movies, though! Surely the book could have had justice done to it in only two. Heck, I enjoyed the Rankin/Bass version, even though the pace was crazy-fast and left out a lot.

48fps is going to take some getting used to. We've all been trained to see 24fps as "cinematic," even though 24fps and similar old frame rates were mainly a way to reduce the size and cost of film reels. Funny how standards come into existence!
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.