View RSS Feed

My experience at "Distant Worlds"

Rate this Entry
I have been away from this site for quite a while, haven't I? So, to make up for it, I've decided to make this blog about my recent experience at the "Distant Worlds" concert. To those who don't know, the "Distant Worlds" concert is comprised of music from the famous video game series Final Fantasy, and it had decided to come to my city of Adelaide, South Australia.

So...-deep breath in-...let's begin.

So, the concert itself took place in the Adelaide Entertainment Centre, with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and the Adelaide Philharmonic Choir providing the music for the show. Of course, conductor Arnie Roth was present, as well as original composer Nobuo Uematsu himself. I managed to get one photo before the show started, because I knew I was gonna be WAY too entranced to care for photos.

So, the theatre hushed, as the show began. It started off with an awesome piece I had heard bits of, but never knew what it title was: Liberi Fatali from FF-VIII. Needless to say, it was a fantastic start to the show.

After they finished, Arnie Roth gave a few words before continuing, and brought light to the fact that this year is the 25th Anniversary of Final Fantasy, with the FF-I having been released on December 18th of 1987. So, they decided to play a special piece in commemoration of this feat. This...victory, if you well. Yes, they played the Victory Theme. It was short and sweet, but the crowd loved it.

From there, they played even more amazing pieces. A medley from FF-I through to III, Zanarkand from FF-X, Blinded By Light from FF-XIII, and more. They ended the first half of the show with the 2010 Swing de Chocobo. 

After the intermission, they started the 2nd half with Opening - Bombing Mission from FF-VII, which everyone loved. After that, they played Dark World from FF-VI, with Arnie Roth on the violin and Uematsu-san on the keyboard. From there, they played other well known pieces, but one I REALLY liked was when they played Dancing Mad (Kefka's Theme) from FF-VI. It was my first time hearing it, and it left a great impression on me.

In the end, the full schedule from the program was:

• Liberi Fatali (VIII)
  • Victory Theme
  • Medley 2010 (I-III)
  • Zanarkand (X)
  • Memoro de la Stono - Distant Worlds (XI)
  • Blinded By Light (XIII)
  • Theme of Love (IV)
  • The Man With The Machine Gun (VIII)
  • Clash on the Big Bridge (V)
  • Swing de Chocobo 2010
  • Opening - Bombing Mission (VII)
  • Dark World (VI)
  • You're Not Alone (IX)
  • Dancing Mad (VI)
  • Aerith's Theme (VII)
  • Opera "Maria and Draco" (VI)
  • Terra's Theme (VI)

With the final scheduled piece of Terra's Theme, the show was ready to end. And so, they gave us the greatest of finales, with Uematsu-san adding his voice to the choir to play probably the one of the most popular Final Fantasy themes: One Winged Angel from FF-VII.

The atmosphere was chilling as it played, as clips of Sephiroth were played behind the orchestra. The show was brought to a fantastic end as the music built up to the finale. All 17 pieces of music made the show fantastic, and the presence of Uematsu-san himself was amazing.

...if I had to list ONE problem with my experience, though, it would have to be the people that were sitting next to me in the audience. These four guys, roughly my age, had come over from Melbourne to see the show...and they were ATROCIOUSLY OBNOXIOUS. They treated the event as if it was a freaking rock concert, going into uproarious yells of satisfaction whenever one song finished. Granted, one person close to us told them to shut up, which they did for most of the 1st half, but went right back to screaming and hollering in the 2nd half. Oh, and how did I know they were from Melbourne? Well, the closest one to me kindly said "COME TO MELBOURNE NEXT!!" at a volume level that could wake the dead.

Despite that, however, the show itself was fantastic; plain and simple. Got myself a CD as to remind me, and here's hoping that I may get the chance to go to it again sometime in the future. Also, here's to a glorious 25th Anniversary to Final Fantasy.

Comments - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.