View RSS Feed

The Ol' Ticker

Rate this Entry
Four years ago, a bout with some form of "stomach flu" turned into a heart infection, and a doubleheader of myocarditis and pericarditis. I was given a one-in-twenty chance of needing a heart transplant -- not much, but I'd have preferred zero! Of course, this was after my symptoms were misdiagnosed as a heart attack and I'd been given an angiogram. Watching a live image of your own heart being pumped full of dye is fascinating and terrifying at the same time!

In the year that followed, many discoveries about my heart were made, including its somewhat unusual valve geometry, its slightly-off rhythm, and a few other oddities. None of this could be positively pinned on the infection and subsequent inflammation, but they've always been the prime suspects.

Unfortunately, this is all still unfolding.

While on my annual deer hunting trip last week, I began having heart palpitations. They came and went at first, but by the time I was preparing to return to Seattle, I could feel my own heartbeat continuously. Ugh. After several visits to the doctor this week, I'll be spending Thanksgiving wearing a Holter monitor, which is basically a battery-powered EKG. When I got home, my wife asked me to lift my shirt and show the kids what was going on. My seven-year-old started crying.

Lots of blood tests are still out, but one theory is that my thyroid has gone berserk and is over-stimulating my heart. I'd always associated thyroid issues with obesity, but apparently the thyroid is more versatile than that.

I'm just hoping a concrete diagnosis can be made. All the guesswork sucks!

i just have to say your way too young for this sort of stuff, Cotton Tail;
    my heart goes out to you, and your family. and this area (seattle, puget sound) is supposed to be a healthy place to live... well accept for Asarco (grimace).... but you don't live anywhere near that mess....
    by the way, did you bag a bambi while you were out?
    i am really sorry that this bad stuff had to come your way, and i do hope that you can get some real answers out of your Doctors.... but i do know what thyroid problems are like to deal with; mine doesn't work at all. too bloody much ionizing-radiation... (dumb grin)
    anyway, happy Turkey!

I feel for you and commiserate with you on the frustration of endless test(around 50k and a full year to find out a muscle in my neck is what was causing weird black out seizure things), a bit I hope they find a answers for you soon and one with a good outlook as well. Mine turned out not to be to serious some pt for a year or so and continuing therapy and I don't have them very often now. I know thyroid issues are a lot harder as they usually take a medication to treat. I will pray all the best for you, have a great turkey day and the best.
    Hugs. Just a bump in the road of life hopes its works out ok .
    Hugs I hope it works out ok for you.
    I hope everything works out for you. I also had to wear one of those Holter monitors in past year. I have had almost all of the other major tests. So far so good.
    only things I'm taking are Lovastatin 40 MG and Ramipril 5 MG for blood pressure. If I don't have any problems come up in the near future I go back next July
    for labs and a check up.
    Thanks for the kind wishes, everybody. Here's to a low-sodium, sugar-free, caffeine-free Thanksgiving holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker
    by the way, did you bag a bambi while you were out?
    I did not. Dad had all the luck this year. I had what might have been a good shot if not for some small tree branches, and decided not to take a chance. All was not lost, however; the local bobcats, coyotes, and turkeys -- pity it wasn't turkey season! -- put on a great show for me. Bambi will be all grown up next year, so he'll be a bigger target. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.