View RSS Feed

FauxPas

Buying my first car! (maybe)

Rate this Entry
So I have been thinking for awhile now of buying my own car, I currently drive my mom's old 99' Honda CRV and it's a great little car, but I want something I can officially say is mine. I have been given the okay to trade in the Honda for what ever I can get for it, about 4-5k and then use that to help put a down payment on something.

I have already gone out once and ended up test driving a KIA Optima and loved it. Not even what I was originally there to look at, but those salesmen are very persuasive and I am just too nice to say "no"

I am this tuesday going to a few dealerships and looking again with my dad. Everyone keeps telling me to buy used, but really don't want to. Something about it just bothers me. A couple of the cars I am looking into are either a KIA Soul, KIA Optima, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, all of which I could afford payments on. One of the dealerships near me had a Soul that was a 2011, 59k miles for 11,000. Had a lot of great additions to it, but I don't know quite yet, that used issues I have comes up. I just don't trust something as important as a car to buy it used.

My only concern is insurance, I already know that buying new compared to buying used, my insurance is going to be outrageous. But will ultimately have to talk to my insurance agency to find out.

Anyone have any advice they could give me? or any opinions on a car that is 20k and under?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Buy used. Your insurance payments will be up the wazoo if you get new, and because you're a first time driver.

You can find a bunch of decent cars for under $10k or less. Hell, look around good enough and you'll find one for very little.

I highly doubt this post will be of any use to you, though, since it seems you're more bent on spending the money for new.
    I would personally get a slightly used Subaru Legacy. More reliable than a Kia, but make sure you get a wagon. I agree with above with insurance, and any near-new car with less than 30k miles will still drive and feel like new. You looking for a manual or auto?

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticTaco
    Buy used. Your insurance payments will be up the wazoo if you get new, and because you're a first time driver.

You can find a bunch of decent cars for under $10k or less. Hell, look around good enough and you'll find one for very little.

I highly doubt this post will be of any use to you, though, since it seems you're more bent on spending the money for new.
    I prefer new only because I have a very strong distrust in people. But there is a used dealership near me that has great reviews from people, and I found a 2010 Honda Fit for 11k

Also not a first time driver
    Maxx's thoughts:

1. New or used, buy something they made a lot of. Repair parts will be less expensive and more available, especially through third parties like autozone.

2. Avoid the first year or two of a new model, or a major revamp of an old one. It takes a while to discover and fix bugs the engineers missed. Even if you're buying used, there can be snakes in the grass waiting to bite.

3. Once you've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, there's no harm in calling your insurance agent to see if there's a significant difference between the two.

4. If buying an older car, hunt down enthusiast forums for that make and model to find the real truth about defects and common problems. Engine, trans, and other choices within the same model aren't always obvious. There are some that run like champs and others that will be reliability and maintenance headaches down the road.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.