View RSS Feed

A little blog about the truth, love and philosophy

Psychologist...

Rate this Entry
... I will become.

So, finally. After travelling, and writing a lot, I'm finally back home where I be belong. I have spent the last few months in eastern Europe, mainly Ukraine and Russia - where I've had a great time. But now, I want to move forward in my life. No more wasting time fooling around. I want to be more than before.

So, I've started studying again. In 5 years, I'll be a freshly examined Psychologist, ready to take on the world. It's a profession that seems to carry with it a lot of prejudice, which is very obvious here. It makes me a bit sad, since to be honest, I expected more of you. I constantly read of people visiting therapists, yet there exists such a stigma against practicing psychologists. I find it interesting, as well as a big let down.

I hear people claim psychology to be a pseudoscience, a claim that's laughable at best. Anyone who has an idea of how legitimate psychological studies are performed and evaluated would know that it's scientific value is staggering. Right now, I am studying a lot of research-methodics, how to eliminate variables and how to critically audit my work as well as others.

Alas, studying this subject has forced me to move. Again. So, now I do not longer live at home, but rather 50 (european) miles from there. It is a bit weird, but to be honest, I'm already in love with the city. I do spend a lot of time reading, roughly 8 hours a day, but living on my lonesome does open up new doors... especially for the more weird stuff. I'm going to have fun.

Apart from all of this, I'm sure I have a lot to say.

But I think I'll choose not to.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Is this written to someone in particular? Your wording in the second paragraph confuses me, I don't understand who you expected more from.

I hope your studies go well.
    If it was targeted to someone in particular, I would have pointed him/her out. In this particular situation I felt no need to do so.

And oh, thank you. Of course, I have my hopes.
    I've never seen anyone here claim Psychology to be a pseudoscience personally.

Psychology is, and always will use the Scientific Methods in it's research and experiments, and while it is relatively newly considered a "Science" it fits all the qualities you would imagine of something in the Scientific field.

I'm not really sure what you are ranting about, but therapists are also trained in Psychology generally. Just that they are M.D.s with a specialty in the psychological side. While Psychologists (BSc, MSc, PHD) are unable to do clinic diagnoses and prescribe medicine.

Of course you also have the even more confusing politics of the APA, the second APA, the APS(I think), DSM, and all the other political reigns of what Psychology should actually include.

- Lobie

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie
    I've never seen anyone here claim Psychology to be a pseudoscience personally.

Psychology is, and always will use the Scientific Methods in it's research and experiments, and while it is relatively newly considered a "Science" it fits all the qualities you would imagine of something in the Scientific field.

I'm not really sure what you are ranting about, but therapists are also trained in Psychology generally. Just that they are M.D.s with a specialty in the psychological side. While Psychologists (BSc, MSc, PHD) are unable to do clinic diagnoses and prescribe medicine.

Of course you also have the even more confusing politics of the APA, the second APA, the APS(I think), DSM, and all the other political reigns of what Psychology should actually include.

- Lobie
    I have seen it referenced as a pseudoscience 1. But I think that's based more on stereotypes than anything else.

The methods of studying psychology has most definately changed and evolved, as you say. Considering that the science started as a mere extension of philosophy, only to incorporate biology at a much later stage.

Mind this though, Lobie, I am Swedish - and I am using the Swedish definitions of the terms when I write. As far as I'm concerned, you do not have to be a M D to claim yourself a therapist over here. What you call a therapist is what we call a Psychiatric over here. A medical doctor specialized in psychiatry (not psychology, which is a rarity.) A therapist is more equal to a councelor, it's not a protected title, so pretty much anyone can claim to be one. Psychotherapeut (5y psych + 2-3 years psychotherapy) is, on the other hand, a protected title.

I think that you're refering to the american profession, but there's a significant difference between the two. In order to become you a psychologist here you first have to take a dedicated 5 year education, plus 1 year PTP-work. To be completely honest with you, I'm not very well-read into how it works over in the States, it just doesn't hold very much relevance to me right now.

1 http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...t-shrinks.html

Addition: Or maybe there is a different definition in Canada, but as I've said, I focus on what's relevant here in my country.
    Hmm I been looking into Psychology it's very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Crassi
    I have seen it referenced as a pseudoscience 1. But I think that's based more on stereotypes than anything else.

The methods of studying psychology has most definately changed and evolved, as you say. Considering that the science started as a mere extension of philosophy, only to incorporate biology at a much later stage.

Mind this though, Lobie, I am Swedish - and I am using the Swedish definitions of the terms when I write. As far as I'm concerned, you do not have to be a M D to claim yourself a therapist over here. What you call a therapist is what we call a Psychiatric over here. A medical doctor specialized in psychiatry (not psychology, which is a rarity.) A therapist is more equal to a councelor, it's not a protected title, so pretty much anyone can claim to be one. Psychotherapeut (5y psych + 2-3 years psychotherapy) is, on the other hand, a protected title.

I think that you're refering to the american profession, but there's a significant difference between the two. In order to become you a psychologist here you first have to take a dedicated 5 year education, plus 1 year PTP-work. To be completely honest with you, I'm not very well-read into how it works over in the States, it just doesn't hold very much relevance to me right now.

1 http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...t-shrinks.html

Addition: Or maybe there is a different definition in Canada, but as I've said, I focus on what's relevant here in my country.
    Yes, no, what you say is accurate here as well. However, not anyone can claim to be a "therapist", it is still a psychological education here in Canada. I don't know about the states though.

and yes, a MD specialized in psychiatry is a psychiatrist here, psychology is a 7year+ course in Universities here (4 undergrad, ~4 grad + thesis and defense) to get your PHD. Even here Councillors have to be well trained (BSc psychology I think), plus additional courses.
    ...to over-simplify, and abbreviate...

I believe that the prejudice...real, or perceived...stems likely from bad encounters, and misconceptions on what to expect...

There are idiots in every profession inclusive...
    I'd dial back on the arrogance and presumption just a tad, or you're going to do more damage for the profession than good. It's okay to be confident but to act like you're somehow "above" everyone else because you don't share their viewpoints is the shortest distance between your education and paying for tuition by running register at McDonalds.
    I am not inclined to agree with you. In this case, and most others, my arrogance is well and truly justified.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.