View RSS Feed

shin splits for the out of shape.

Rate this Entry
So I have been out of the army for almost as long as I was even in. I could never do push ups really well or had the fastest run time (14 minute two mile time was average). The only thing I excelled in physically was ruck marching. Slinging on 50 to 80 plus pounds of gear and walking for ten or more miles was my thing. I used to be an exhibitionist at it and always carried the most weight and could walk the fastest.

Anyways, I had a few hours to kill yesterday after school and decided to go on a walk. I walked nine miles around a local trail and ended overstepping my bounds for being so out of shape. I tried to maintain my old 6 mph walking pace but found out I could no longer do so and had to settle for a 4.5 mph pace.

Today I feel so broke off. I got shin splits and every muscle below my abs is on fire.

Next week I am going to only do 6 miles and also carry a ruck sack for the first time in years. Going to start out with about 45 pounds and alternate an increase in weight one week and then the next, increase distance. I was thinking 15 pounds on weight increase and 2 miles on distance increase. Working my way up to 15 miles and 90 pounds eventually.

Hopefully in the meantime, I wont end up crippling myself.

wow dude! i'm in the air force right now and all i have to do is a 13-minute 1.5-mile jog, 50 push-ups in a minute, 50 sit-ups in a minute, and have a waist below 38"... rock on with your ruck on :-)
    Would be nice if they let you listen to mp3 player during a PT test. When I used to go on long ruck marches, I used to hide my ipod in my gear and run the earbud cord under my vest while only using one earbud. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.