View RSS Feed

My blog...Mine, MINE!!!!

Arrrg....desktop computer died.

Rate this Entry
I'm not sure exactly what happened, but my desktop computer started having problems over the weekend and today it died for good. I'm getting BIOS beep codes, but there is nothing matching the exact sequence I am getting on any of the BIOS beep code sites. I thought It was either a power supply or video card issue, but after swapping out both I'm getting the same results. Removing all of the RAM gives me a different sequence of beeps, and again there is no sequence that describes what I am hearing.

So I guess I'm down to my laptop until I can get a new desktop. I hope that the hard drives are still okay, and if they are I should be able to bring a new system back up by doing a repair install of Windows XP. I hate computers sometimes.
Life in General

You need to look at the BIOS chip or the mobo make and modal and find the exact beep code sequence from the manufacturers website. The device most likely to fail on a PC is the HDD, and that does not cause a POST fail as the PC will still boot without one. It just wont do much... So your chances of fixing the computer and keeping your data is quite high in my opinion.
    My sympathy. Hope everythng important was backed up.
    Berko....getting the same beeps with or without a HDD installed. Swapped a second HDD into the primary IDE slot, same results. POST is not getting far enough to check the IDE channels, and I'm getting no video at all, even with a known working video card. Not quite finished troubleshooting yet, but I've put it away for a couple of days.

Maxx...yup, all important data is backed up to an external HDD, and I have verified that it is accessible on the laptop. I learned the importance of backing up important data years ago. The only real problem is that my weather station is run by that computer, so I can't get weather data to CWOP. It's a non-critical issue really since the weather station was damaged in a thunderstorm and all it's reporting now is temp/barometer/humidity wind or rainfall data is being collected. All in all, it could be worse.
    Have you tried putting a single ram stick at a time?
    Ram goes faulty and it could be a faulty stick or ram slot.
    Another possibility is the mobo being partially fried.
    Best of luck.
    Luckyfish...yup tried that (I used to do tech support for Gateway Computers) and no joy. I've pretty much determined that the system board has failed. Gonna have to get a new desktop when we have the money again. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.