View RSS Feed

Lutero

Maximize PC Performance

Rate this Entry
We all know that computers can be two things:
1.) Lightning fast
2.) Slow. Slow. SLOW!

How do you fix that? Well.. if you don't mind downloading a few free programs; then this should be easy.

If you are running Windows 7 and using the an Aero theme (The windows appear clear-ish) then you can save a huge chunk of memory by disabling it:
-Go to your desktop and right click, then navigate to "Personalize"
You should be at this window: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PersonalizeM.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	8941
-Click on "Window Colour" use any colour you wish, but change the settings to uncheck transparency
Use the sliders under colour mixer to change to whatever colour you wish.

Not using the Aero Interface alone will greatly improve your performance. This is partly because Windows devotes more memory toward making things look pretty.

If you prefer performance over eye candies, you may do this:
Open the start menu and cright-click "Computer"
>Properties
>Advanced System settings (On the left)
When this new window opens, be sure you are under the "advanced" tab and click Settings (first button)
You may either choose what you want to have, or let windows decide with the option 'tickers'.

After clicking apply, your computer will freeze up and say "please wait"; this is perfectly normal. SImply do as the message implies!

-------------------------
Onto actual performance and memory. The basic programs Windows is stocked with are not all that great, but 3rd Party Software is of course another story. The following programs are all free, legitimate (no viruses or icky content!) and in my opinion, extremely efficient!

Here are the download links:
For the registry cleaner: http://wisecleaner.com/soft/WRCFree.exe
For the disk cleaner: http://wisecleaner.com/soft/WDCFree.exe

The website for these programs is WiseCleaner Homepage - Best Free Registry Cleaner, Best Free Disk Cleaner in case you are worried!

Next, if you don't have an antivirus program, Google for the free version of Malware Bytes AntiMalware. I have this program and it works just fine; no time limits. (only some restricted content)

Now, let's get our elbows greasy and clean out that hard drive! You'll want to open up both the Registry Cleaner and Disk Cleaner. First run the disk cleaner. Once it finishes, it will report on the amount of junk or unneccesary files that can be safely destroyed. TOnce finished, go to the Advanced Cleaning tab and scan any drives connected to your PC. This will do a quicker-more in depth scan. Go to the 3rd tab and check anything you (as an individual mind you) won't be using.

In the registry cleaner, do a scan as well. This can take quite a long time to do, but you are free to use other programs while it does so. if you are wondering whtat this program is doing, I will explain.

Afterward you do a normal scan and tidy things up, navigate to this tab and uncheck these options: (or choose your own)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip+%282012-05-20+at+09.26.20%29.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	8942

Leave the Registry cleaner open and start MalwareBytes, and run a quick scan. If you find and bad files, delete them but don't restart your computer if it asks because the next step also requires a shutdown.
Again in the registry cleaner, run the registry defragment. This will also freeze your computer, (the most it has ever done for me is about 15 minutes)
Be sure to close all other programs before clicking to begin, and let the scan run.

Once finished, exit the program and restart your PC!

And there we have it. Your computer should now be considerably faster, maybe even as fasted as greased lightning!

Comments

One could avoid all that with a Linux system! Heh.

On the off chance I do work on Window's comps it's CCleaner and Defraggler all the way for me. CCleaner is less harsh on the registry than Wisecleaner and is a good all in one tool. If I have to defrag the registry on the rare occasion, Auslogics. Should be done bi-monthly depending. I've only ever had to do it once a year.

I advocate now a days using a Windows reg edit and manually getting rid of old files. Even after running these programs they still leave behind stuff.

Also I would add configuring the startup programs so non essential programs are not running, like worthless background programs such as I-tuneshelper.exe. Using CCleaner to remove third party stock software should be done since half the non essential starts are those I've found on most systems. Doing that shaves at least 20 secs off startup on Windows.

Other good free anti-virus programs that use active scanning are Avast! and AVG free. Zone Alarm and Comodo also make great free firewalls that are pretty lean.
    I should have been more in depth with Soluto; (which can disable programs taking a hard hit on your RAM)
    I myself don't like CCleaner, though I'm not basing that on performance of the two programs
    An also neat thing to do but also if you like working on computers is:

Upgrade your computer's memory to the max!

Then you can get rid of some of that page file you could be using for hard drive space.

You could also use Microsoft Security Essentials,works for me just fine and its free too.

The three things thats the speed of your computer works the same way as a fire triangle

Amount of Memory[RAM]

[Speed of your read/write of your hard drive and how large your hard drive is]

Processor[more cores is better]

Quote Originally Posted by Geno
    One could avoid all that with a Linux system! Heh.

On the off chance I do work on Window's comps it's CCleaner and Defraggler all the way for me. CCleaner is less harsh on the registry than Wisecleaner and is a good all in one tool. If I have to defrag the registry on the rare occasion, Auslogics. Should be done bi-monthly depending. I've only ever had to do it once a year.

I advocate now a days using a Windows reg edit and manually getting rid of old files. Even after running these programs they still leave behind stuff.

Also I would add configuring the startup programs so non essential programs are not running, like worthless background programs such as I-tuneshelper.exe. Using CCleaner to remove third party stock software should be done since half the non essential starts are those I've found on most systems. Doing that shaves at least 20 secs off startup on Windows.

Other good free anti-virus programs that use active scanning are Avast! and AVG free. Zone Alarm and Comodo also make great free firewalls that are pretty lean.
    I will say, Linux is getting a lot better as far as hardware compatibility. I haven't run Ubuntu for a long time, but I remember the first version I ran had a hard time figuring out a lot of my hardware. The last version of Ubuntu I ran picked up all but I think one or two devices. I haven't run it for a couple years, so I imagine the newer versions have to be dealing with some pretty off-the-wall hardware to not auto-detect and install.

That said, Windows still does what I need it to do. Ubuntu's mainly been just something for me to play around with on the side. I haven't tried any other distros since one of the earlier SuSE versions.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.