View RSS Feed

A new friend.

Rate this Entry
I decided to write this blog as a welcome to my new friend, Nigel the betta fish.

I've been looking at getting a new fish ever since my other one passed on (R.I.P jackie two fins...) , and when I saw how sad Nigel looked in that little cup at the pet store I just had to buy/rescue him. It makes me sad, the conditions these fish are kept in. It could easily be avoided. some of these fish are kept in 1/2 gallon tanks, which makes no sense when a 5 gallon tank can be bought for less than $20. It's a common misconception that betta's are capable of living in tiny bowl's without heaters or filter's. They'll live alright, but not comfortably or for very long..

Anyways, onto my buddy Nigel, he's still adjusting to his new tank (There is a big difference between a drinking glass and a 5 gallon tank). I really want him to feel better, so I'm doing everything in my power to help him recover. His fins are pretty ragged, so I've added some medication to help them heal. He was living in terrible conditions, the water was so cloudy when I bought him that I couldn't really see all of the colours on him (He has nicely tinted silver fins). I feel as though I've done a good deed, but I still feel bad knowing that even though Nigel was saved there are still many of these fish living in terrible conditions and ultimately they end up being flushed down a toilet.

Perhaps I'll add a picture of my little buddy, once he gets settled away.

I had no idea how betta fishes were, googled it up out of curiosity and, wow, you got yourself a really beautiful friend!

I agree with you, it's crazy that a pet store treats these animals like just "items" they have to sell. It's the best way to make a bad impression with their customers! But it's good to know that Nigel has found someone who will take care of him properly. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.