View RSS Feed

Jobs (plural)

Rate this Entry
I've been a tad inactive this last week due to the shock of having two jobs. Happily, it's not out of necessity. Well, not financial necessity, anyway. Creative necessity? Definitely!

I've been looking for a new job--one that replaces both my career path and my paycheck--for the better part of two years now, and during that time I've watched my technical hobbies surge to an all-consuming level. I used to do all manner of geeky stuff in my spare time. Then I got a job doing it, so I needed to de-geekify at the end of my workday. And then, somewhat unfortunately, I became a manager of the people doing the geeky stuff, and reluctantly washed my hands of it. And then, predictably, the thirst for geeky side-projects returned.

Well, I fear I'm in a bit over my head, because I'm now also a consulting engineer with a local startup company--my first ever startup experience. Can't go into too many details, but it's just about the perfect project for me, as it combines a number of my favorite hobbies. In short, the company is designing automated camera systems for sports photography/videography. And how much do I get paid? Practically nothing! WOO-HOO!! It's almost an all-equity deal, so... Could be something, could be nothing. But! It's mega-geeky, deeply technical, and I'm not just numbly cracking a whip, I'm actually doing the cool stuff.

Which is super-awesome.

Here's hoping it turns out to be something!!

Hey that sounds amazing!

Sometimes its really important to get back to your creative roots and it sounds like you've really done that! It's good that you can work in a field where you do your hobbies all day, and get paid

Start-ups are a tricky one! It can so easily go either way. I'm training to be an accountant at the moment, and you see it time and time again, the silliest little thing can send the whole business down, just because the books leave absolutely no room for errors in the first couple of years.

Still, as long as you're happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Talula
    Still, as long as you're happy!
    Heheh, yeah... I'm fortunate not to be staking my financial well-being on it, but that's not to say I hope to go completely unrewarded or anything! So, yeah, it'd be a bummer if things didn't get off the ground.

I should probably mention, too, that I don't *hate* my... "main"... job. Far from it. But it's not a dream job. There are parts of the year--usually corresponding to the brainstorming phase of product development--that are genuinely fun. The long stretches of mind-numbing process that follow are what drains me more than anything. I find myself actually hoping for things to go wrong sometimes, because that's when I get to use my brain. I feel a little guilty about that! - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.