View RSS Feed

DrunknFox

We Need to Talk About Kevin Movie Review

Rate this Entry
To start off, this movie is very interesting. It's been a topic on ADISC before, so I thought I would give the film a try. I read up on the film stats before and during the time I watched the film. I must say, I've never read the book, but the film does a good job representing this story. Tilda Swinton also does a horrific job at playing Kevin's mom.

For those interested in the film, the plot is very basic. It's really about Eva (Kevin's Mom; Played by Tilda Swinton) and how her life is tormented while she raises Kevin. Kevin; who turns out to be a psychopath, despises his mom, and does quite a lot to torment her.

The timeline of the film really jumps around. At times, it's hard to pick up on whether it's a flashback, or if it's what's she's actually seeing. However, I must say at the end, everything is put in place, and certain scenes will make sense. Tilda Swinton, even at her current age, looks worn down, old, and stressed from Kevin's antics. Her facial expressions and tone of voice certainly represent a tormented woman, which is scary by itself. Also, Jasper Newell does a good job at playing 6-8 year old Kevin.

For those interested in the scenes in which Kevin is in a diaper, it's really amazing how disturbing this film shows Kevin's lack of toilet-training. There isn't much to say, as it goes without he wears a diaper in rebellion to his parents attempts to potty train him. However, for those who actually want to see this movie, I will not spoil a specific scene.

Overall, AB, DL, or N/A, you may like this movie. It's not a comedy, or action; it's very dark actually. The reviews were actually good for the movie, unfortunately, the movie was a box-office bomb, making a little more than half the movie's budget, which was 7 million. If you're bored and want to see something different, I would recommend this film. It's not something to show your girlfriend though...

Comments

Tilda Swinton also does a horrific job at playing Kevin's mom.

I assume you mean a horrific job in a good way ;-)

I read the novel and was going to see the movie, but unfortunately it never opened on wide release in UK cinemas, and never got near me. I can't understand why, because the novel was a big hit in the UK and everyone gave the film good reviews. Now it's out on DVD I'm going to buy it (rather than watch it any other way...) because 1. it looks awesome and I want to see it and 2. the writer director Lynne Ramsay is one of not enough women film directors and it's such a shame she's had bad commercial luck with what sounds like a good film.
    [QUOTE=ClaraRiddle;bt24371][I]Tilda Swinton also does a horrific job at playing Kevin's mom.
    [/I]

I assume you mean a horrific job in a good way ;-)

I read the novel and was going to see the movie, but unfortunately it never opened on wide release in UK cinemas, and never got near me. I can't understand why, because the novel was a big hit in the UK and everyone gave the film good reviews. Now it's out on DVD I'm going to buy it (rather than watch it any other way...) because 1. it looks awesome and I want to see it and 2. the writer director Lynne Ramsay is one of not enough women film directors and it's such a shame she's had bad commercial luck with what sounds like a good film.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great!
    By horrific, I mean it's well played, but her worn down appearance really seals the deal with her part.
    Same to hear you couldn't see it. I didn't know it even opened here, but then again, I never watch TV or look for the ads.
    Hope you like it! I know I did.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.