View RSS Feed

JayJ

For old fashioned artists

Rate this Entry
Does anyone draw the old way? Pencil and paper? When you scan your images in, do you ever try to play with Photoshop settings? I'm trying to get it so my pencil drawing is dark and the empty area is white without losing too much detail of the pencilings. Any tips?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When I scan it out of a sketchbook it looks like

but when I scan it from a white piece of printer paper it looks like

so maybe it's just that you're drawing it on not-white paper? I never have a problem with the pencil lines looking strong or the background looking white when I just use printer paper, so maybe you should draw it on that. It's cheaper, too

Edit: They're too big, oh well. You get the idea I hope.
    If the paper is scanning in yellow like Point's example, you can use Replace Color (plus the color picker) to replace the yellow with white. Threshold is also useful, though it's best to get your background as white as possible before applying it; going overboard on this setting will cut out a lot of detail. It will also turn the lines from grey pencil sketch to pure black. Adjusting contrast settings can sometimes help; again, best to do this with a cleaned up background.
    It could be non-white paper. It's GP Everyday Copy & Print paper. GP Copy & Print - Georgia-Pacific Communication Papers Based on my limited knowledge of paper, this seemed like the whitest ones I could find. Some scan fine and others scan a slight blue tint. Maybe it's the scanner?

I should have been more clear and said I want my lines black. At least, as close to black as I can get'em. When I play with the settings in Photoshop, I can get it pretty close to what I want. http://i.imgur.com/3Vv7A.png It's for 2D animation purposes. Whenever I ink a drawing, the lines get all fat n' ugly. If I can just make pencil drawings and edit them black, I'd be in business.

Thanks for replying, guys. I appreciate it!
    Welcomes. Yeah, for black lines, I go with Photoshop's Threshold function. But actually, I gave up trying to get exceptionally clean lines via scanning in traditional work (part of the problem could have been the rather old and low-end scanner I was working with) and just got a Wacom tablet. Really cannot ask for cleaner digital lines and it feels close enough to traditional sketching.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ
    It could be non-white paper. It's GP Everyday Copy & Print paper. GP Copy & Print - Georgia-Pacific Communication Papers Based on my limited knowledge of paper, this seemed like the whitest ones I could find. Some scan fine and others scan a slight blue tint. Maybe it's the scanner?
    Oh, I just use(d) regular old printer paper and a $30 printer/scanner hybrid thing. So maybe, but probably not either of those things.

I don't know PS at all so I'm pretty much useless for that
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.