View RSS Feed

BabyJayk

Still trying to find a job

Rate this Entry
Was kind of curious if anyone else was in the same boat.

So I was going to College in a town about 2 1/2 hours away from home. I had my own appartment, but I couldn't find a job. I started looking 3 months before I moved down there for school. I had some money saved up over the summer so I had my expenses covered at least for the semester. After three months I moved down there and still no job, not even a call back. I joined SnagAJob, and trolled Indeed daily. I went to the department if labor, and looked for work. After another month I gave up on finding part time work and started submitting for anything at all. I got one interview, as a security guard at the local mall. I meant long nights followed by long days in class but it was a job. Or at least it would have been if the guy hadn't hired an illegal immigrant under the table instead of me ( I know this because I met the guy they hired afterwards). Anyway I was undaunted, I kept applying to everywhere with an add out. I almost got a job at the local forestry department, but because I was not 21 and the job required a CDL I didn't get it. That was back in August. I haven't had so much as an interview since then. So I am not even sure what I am going to do now.

You see I would understand if I was someone who just came out of High School with no job experience, but I have an Associates Degree (almost a bachelors now) I have served in the Military ( I am still in the National Guard), and I speak not one but THREE languages! So I don't understand why I can't seem to find any kind of employment. I see people I knew in High School without a Degree or any other skills picking up jobs whenever so what is the deal?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

All I can offer is that times are rough at present, don't give up looking. Do try also to keep that; you have something to show for the current break in your employment history, even if this is to be voluntary work.

You do know to dumb down an application to only fit the job requirements as; 1/ a perspective employer will not want to pay for more than he requires. 2/ if a perspective employer gets the impression that they are only a stop-gap, they also see you will jump ship at the first opportunity.

The National Guard involvement only works if an employer respects it. Some might resent what could become a split loyalty ie, your being called up.

You will hate me for saying this; Get a trusted person to have a look at your CV and then your presentation / interview skills. At the very least you will learn all the PC (politically correct) answers to all the gobshite (no translation available) questions.
    Employers could be seeing you as overqualified. They want someone thats going to stick around for a bit and not jump ship for something more to thier skillset in 3 months. Sometimes it works out to trim stuff from the CV.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.