View RSS Feed

Cherub

Conclusion: Traffic ticket = Bad Day

Rate this Entry
Today I went to talk to the city attorney about my traffic ticket. I was supposed to meet with this person on January 10th at 9AM, however for some reason I thought it was at 1PM. Needless to say I didn't get in to see them that day. So I had to reschedule my appointment.

Today I had my meeting. I thought for sure they would not help me at all, especially since I missed my first appointment. However, much to my surprise, the city attorney met with me. I explained my entire situation to them and they actually listened. I thought, wow, this is going well! After I explained my entire situation to them they looked up my driving record, and discovered that it had been a clean record for many years up until my recent speeding ticket. The city attorney explained to me that, she was there to represent the city, and that her job was to prosecute me for breaking laws within the city limits. I thought, yep, this is where I get told they can't / won't help me.

Then the city attorney informed me that based upon my record of no prior traffic infractions for several years, that she would be willing to negotiate with me on the citation I had pending. I was happy to hear that! She then told me that she could do one of two things, reduce the points of the citation or reduce the fine amount of the citation. She asked me which one I wanted. I nervously chuckled and said I'd like both. The attorney, also laughed, then said they would only go as far as to give me one or the other, but not both. She then informed me that they don't usually negotiate traffic citation, but based on my situation and record she was willing to. I wasn't sure which to go for. The city attorney then told me that she would be willing to reduce my citation from 24 miles over the speed limit to a mere 9 miles over the speed limit AND removed half the points that the citation would normally have carried against me. I was shocked my the offer! Then she gave me some advice, she told me that if I took her offer, that in the long run the reduction of points would help with possible future insurance costs from the points on my record. She told me that the remaining points would drop off in just 3 years. I then accepted her offer and refused to have the dollar amount of the citation dismissed.

So, in the end I still had to pay the full amount of the citation, but what will go on my record is FAR less that what actually happened the day I got pulled over. Needless to say I am a very happy guy! I guess case in point: There is always room for negotiation!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Time I was pulled it was an automatic two points, by contesting it I risked it rising to four upon conviction. It is disqualification on reaching twelve, but only Bill Gates could afford insurance after six. I got a strikeout as Mr. Pig did not show and that nice Court Police Sergeant refused to take the case. You were right, it may be financially rough to pay the fine, but getting a waver on the fine and allowing the points to remain would have been chasing fools gold.
    Though I've been pulled over a few times, I only recently got my first speeding ticket. It was a cheap shot, too, as it was set up at the bottom of a hill such that unless you'd ridden your brake the whole way down, you were going to be speeding. Anyway... Thankfully, Washington State has a deferral program that allows you to defer one ticked every seven years, with deferral meaning that if you maintain a clean record for a year following citation, nothing at all goes on your record. Neat! So, I'm still clean, as far as my insurance company knows. I do feel *slightly* guilty. But not really.
    [QUOTE=Cottontail;bt23719]Washington State has a deferral program that allows you to defer one ticked every seven years,...[/QUOTE]Oh in a heartbeat I'd give an arm and a leg for a system like that here. How do you feel you would manage with two missing limbs.
    That actually sounds more like a good day. Of course I always see the glass half full.....

The city attorney was being honest with you. The bump in insurance would've been worse than the fine.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.