View RSS Feed

Cottontail

Bambi-blasting

Rate this Entry
Apologies to all you furries, but... *loads rifle* It's huntin' season!

This coming Saturday is opening day of deer season (for modern firearms) in Missouri. Every year for the last decade or so, my dad and I have hopped a plane to Tulsa, Oklahoma (where some family lives), then made the several-hour drive to a small farming town in southwestern Missouri (where some more family lives), then set up "camp" (several bedrooms in said family's house).

As a kid, I used to hunt deer while hiking in the mountains of central Washingon. I also, fortunately, never shot anything, as getting a deer carcase out of some of the places we hunted would have required a helicopter! Hunting in the relative flatlands of Missouri is altogether different. My uncle and his farmer friends have erected half a dozen permanent tree houses, another half-dozen portable metal platforms, and will set up few "ground blinds" (camouflage tents) the night before hunting starts. Then, every day for a week, we'll hunt for four hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon. When a deer is downed, extraction is a straightforward one- or two-man drag to the nearest road. Then it's off to the town's butcher to get all manner of steaks and sausages made. Om-nom-nom!

More often than not, though, the only shooting I'll do is with my camera. Unlike my dad, who won't hesitate to take that 75- to 100-yard shot, I generally wait until a deer walks right under me. I've never missed, but that's not because I'm a good shot! If I see a deer passing at a distance, I'll grab my camcorder. That way, at least, I never go home empty-handed.

Hunting season is also diaper-free. After joining ADISC, I'd told myself that this would be the year I "padded up" before walking into the woods (not "marking my territory" by bushes and trees would probably improve my chances of seeing a deer!), but it was not to be. The more I thought about it, the more I imagined my normally-carefree vacation turning into a paranoid search for places to dispose of diapers. So...

I leave on Thursday. Wish me luck! (Both with the hunting, and coping with diaperlessness!)
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm not the biggest hunter ever so I don't really have anything to add to this blog, except for the fact that this is probably the best title of anything I have EVER SEEN!
    Sounds like a fun time with your dad!

Right now where I live, it is moose season. I don't bother to go hunting, it never really piqued my interest. But I love going shooting. one of the most fun experiences ever! I have some friends who have moose licenses this year, hopefully a few steaks will come my way.

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast
    Right now where I live, it is moose season. I don't bother to go hunting, it never really piqued my interest. But I love going shooting. one of the most fun experiences ever! I have some friends who have moose licenses this year, hopefully a few steaks will come my way.
    It takes me a year to empty my freezer of deer steaks after I bag a deer. I can't imagine a moose! I guess that's what friends and family are for, though.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.