View RSS Feed

AnalogRTO

The insanity continues...

Rate this Entry
Life is absolutely crazy right now. Work is absolutely nuts--we are moving our entire design and applications departments at the headquarters from one building to another larger building. If you consider I've been at this company for 17 1/2 years, with the last 15 sitting in the same cubicle, I have a lot of years of files and build-up to sort through and clear out. This is basically moving the contents of a 60 thousand plus square foot building to another building just a couple hundred yards away.

We're probably losing two or more weeks of productivity as we clear through all the old junk and pack. Our new offices and cubicles will actually be smaller in the new building, so getting rid of as much junk as possible is a necessity. At least I now get a window seat.

On top of this, my 19 year old daughter has decided she is moving to Australia in two weeks. Why? She wants to get into the circus and there is a school in Melbourne that can teach her what she needs. Does she have the money to do this? No, she hasn't been able to find a job this year with the way the economy is going.

Mom and I are not going to finance this either. Not because we don't agree with her choice of career, but because we already spent her college fund sending her to a culinary school to become a pastry chef. She finished that program, got out into the market for it, and found out just how long the hours are and how much work it is. So she gets to foot the bill for the new endeavor herself.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. Part of me is ready to let her go, to let her make her own mistakes and learn from it, to grow up the rest of the way she needs to. Another part of me wants to try and keep her from making mistakes which may make her miserable later in life. She is getting help with this from a boy she met in Australia, she will be with him for a while. He's paying for her ticket over there and she will be living with him while she finds a job and gets school going.

She complains though, that the circus programs only work her body and not her mind. So she'll go up in the attic and grab my college textbooks from physics, chemistry, and calculus and read those in her spare time. As a hobby, she wants to be into quantum physics. She's a brilliant young lady, but intelligence is not the same as wisdom.

All I can really do is cross my fingers and hope.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What a family - a diapered skydiver and an acrobatic quantum physicist :-)

I am impressed by your daughter's courage, even though it comes with indecision. My sister has been a bowling-alley counter girl, hair stylist, bartender, and now back to hair stylist, so I've seen a little bit of that before. I wish her (and her dad) lots of luck.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.