View RSS Feed

The Army

Rate this Entry
So yea I haven't really been posting anything in my blog, so I guess I am going to start doing that. My friend is going to be getting married soon, and then me and him are going to join the army. He was already in, but for me it will be the first time. I've been planning on doing this for awhile, but now I actually have to start doing it. I don't know what I am going to do with the whole diaper thing when I am in the army, I will probably have to get a hotel room or something, if I even can do that, to indulge. My other thing is, that I feel that once I am done with the army and go back home that everyone will have moved. I know that I will still have my one buddy, since we will be in the army together, but still I am not too good at making knew friends. I am looking forward to finally having a steady income, which will be awesome once I am done with my service and can get my own place, cause that is the first thing I am going to do once I get out, other then celebrate. Just in case you were wondering, I am not going into combat, and I doubt that I will actually be sent over sees, and even if I did I don't think it would be that big a concern of mine. I plan to go into something involving computers, as that is what I am good at, but it wouldn't hurt to learn a new trade, although like I said I want to stay with computers. Well thanks for reading to those that read this, and I will try to start to post more often.
Tags: army, life, nervous

Hi Tim! I am glad you are looking forward to the Army. I've been an enlisted guy in the Air Force for a while, and I thought I might share some thoughts I have.

Have you and your friend already talked to a recruiter? I've heard that it's hard to get in, and especially if you're not flexible about the career (in Army speak, MOS, or Military Occupation Specialty) you want to do.

I live with my wife, in a house 20 minutes from base (even though on/off base doesn't matter to my point), and I am able to do my diaper thing whenever it works out among my family. Sometimes also on trips, if I'm in a hotel room by myself. Most of the time (and especially during the early part of your training/career) you won't have the opportunity. And you will very rarely have the option to get your own hotel room. You'll be rooming with between 2 and 30 other people, in anything from a dorm to a repurposed gym to a tent. But most likely, when you're busy, DL stuff will be the furthest from your mind.

When you come back to your hometown, things will certainly have changed! There's a lot to catch up on. And you'll have your own stories to tell them about where you've been and what you've done. I think it's kind of fun.

You'll meet so many people! You might not consider many of them friends, but they will be peers, then associates, then co-workers. You'll have plenty of time to talk (sometimes there's not much else to do), and sometimes you'll get along rather well. I don't try very hard to make friends, but it happens now and then.

The Army is huge, and the Army won't be trying to keep you and your buddy together. If the recruiter tells you otherwise, or if staying with your buddy is part of your enlistment deal, it won't last - it's just not how the Army does things. And even after the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, same-sex partners aren't considered spouses and as such they don't get any special consideration for same-location assignments. (I don't know if that's your situation, but I notice your profile says you're gay, so I figure it's worth mentioning.)

The steady income will be happening while you are in the service, not when you are done. If you want to start to budget things and see how it looks, just Google "2011 U.S. Military pay tables". In Boot Camp (or whatever the Army calls it) you will not be making much money at all, but everything is provided for you. As you get a couple of years and a couple of ranks in, you'll make a decent amount. Try to save as much as you can, though, if your goal is to get your own place. More likely, you'll get out, celebrate, and crash with your friends/parents until you get another steady job.

"I'm not going into combat" - you never know. You'll be trained for it, and you'll get plenty of experience wearing flack jackets and helmets and carrying a rifle around with you. Even when you're a computer guy. Because an enemy will know that your team is much less efficient with damaged computer/network equipment, it'll probably be your job to help defend it. And you will be expected to go wherever the Army needs you, overseas or not.

Good luck with the decision though! I think joining the military takes a lot of courage and is a positive thing for people to do, no matter whether their motivation is "I wanna go kill me some terr'ists!" or "I joined because my ex-boyfriend said i couldn't handle it and I wanted to prove him wrong" (seriously!) or "I just wanted to get out of my hometown". Be safe, be smart (it's a contract!), and if/when you join, have fun! - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.