View RSS Feed

LilRetroBoy

retro and me

Rate this Entry
whenever people find out i collect and play retro games and consoles they all ways wonder why?
so i thought i would try my best to explain why

i have all ways being in to gaming my first console was a sony play station (ps1) i foolishly traded in most my ps1 games when i upgraded to PS2 (i am slowly getting back the games i remember loving back then) i reluctantly got a ps3 when the slim model came out don't get we wrong i love the ps3 but i just thought it was and still is over rated
so thats my gaming history in a nut shell

but i got in to the retro gaming (any console that is not current generation) because of my university helper who wold tell me about consoles like the, NES (nintendo entertainment system) SNES, (super nintendo entertainment system) and the sega mega drive or to any 1 not in europe the sega genesis. i started to emulate the games on my computer then when i seen the retroN3 console a that let you play the games for the 3 consoles for each system mentioned in this paragraph using the original controllers

and well i was finding out more and more about past consoles as well as other peoples experiences with gaming and about the industry side of gaming

so do any of you have a gaming memory you want to share
Tags: gaming, young
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The thing that always strikes me is what generation of console different people consider retro (even though you're right--anything that isn't current-gen can be considered retro).

But you're making me feel old, lol. I was 9 when the PS1 came out but I guess I still consider it a relatively recent console. The first console I ever played was an Atari 2600 (my dad's from college), but the first console that I really got into was my SNES. I was talking about first consoles with some co-workers who were all 15-20 years older than me, and they didn't really consider SNES to be 'old.' To them, the best retro games were on Commodore 64, Amiga computers, and Atari.

Despite having a PS3, I still have my SNES and play it. I wouldn't think of parting with it and there are actually still games I want to play--and have wanted to play for a long time, since I couldn't buy a lot of cartridges when I was a jobless kid. Emulation is great, but there's just something about playing on the actual system.

The first games I ever played, period, were on a Pentium I computer running DOS. I have a DOS emulator (Boxer, for Mac) and I'm playing a game called 'A Mind Forever Voyaging' right now. It's a purely text-based sci-fi game. You have to draw your own maps and type what direction you want to walk. Now that is retro.
    i just got my hands on a sega dreamcast and i picked up some titles that have interested me for a long time

power stone
    soul caliber (i have played every sequel to this original but i wanted to see how they improved the series)
    jet set radio
    crazy taxi (i have this on ps2 but people say dream cast is best version so i had to see for my self)

also what attracts me to the dream cast is people still make games for it not big companies some 1 put together a turbo graphix 16/ pc engine collection which will do me for now until i can get the real thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon
    The thing that always strikes me is what generation of console different people consider retro (even though you're right--anything that isn't current-gen can be considered retro).

But you're making me feel old, lol. I was 9 when the PS1 came out but I guess I still consider it a relatively recent console. The first console I ever played was an Atari 2600 (my dad's from college), but the first console that I really got into was my SNES. I was talking about first consoles with some co-workers who were all 15-20 years older than me, and they didn't really consider SNES to be 'old.' To them, the best retro games were on Commodore 64, Amiga computers, and Atari.

Despite having a PS3, I still have my SNES and play it. I wouldn't think of parting with it and there are actually still games I want to play--and have wanted to play for a long time, since I couldn't buy a lot of cartridges when I was a jobless kid. Emulation is great, but there's just something about playing on the actual system.

The first games I ever played, period, were on a Pentium I computer running DOS. I have a DOS emulator (Boxer, for Mac) and I'm playing a game called 'A Mind Forever Voyaging' right now. It's a purely text-based sci-fi game. You have to draw your own maps and type what direction you want to walk. Now that is retro.
    Retro gaming is where it's at. My first system was the NES and the last system I truely enjoyed was the psx. I miss the old games. It feels like where everyone had limited technology they had to make the best game they could for the most enjoyment. Nowadays its more like you have to make the prettiest looking game, thats dumbed down enough so everyone can beat it. I don't mind losing, I don't mind dying over and over again, but at least challenge me a bit. My best memories with gaming was getting the N64 one christmas and playing a lot of Ocarina of time, and all the rpg's on the psx. I feel like the best years for gaming are over, though I still enjoy a lot of pc games these days. Mostly ones like TF2 where it's a pick up and play in a battleground sort of scenario. I like games like Demon Souls because it reminds me of those old games.
    I grew up playing my older brother's Atari 2600. Then I got a NES in the late 80s and a SNES in...1992? 1993? I stopped playing video games around the time PS1, Saturn, and N64 came out. Now I'm playing catch up. I have a PS1, Saturn, and N64 today. Only two handfuls of games for each. I have too many memories to write down. I will say that video games and old Nintendo Power helped me with my drawing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Newphie
    It feels like where everyone had limited technology they had to make the best game they could for the most enjoyment.
    There's a cliche saying "Limitation breeds creativity." I think there's some truth in it.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.