View RSS Feed

Marks in school are degrading. Feelsbadman.jpg

Rate this Entry
I've been in university since the beginning of July taking Network Security. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and after working for a year after high school and saving up, I finally have the chance!

I've done a few quizzes on basic server administration and one major project. The problem is, is that I'm not getting the full logic of what happens and the [I]how and why[/I] of the workings of our virtual environments. There is a massive workload, and I'm struggling. I seem to be barely passing everything (60% being a pass). I need to figure out what is going wrong with my studying techniques.

I know the first quarter of this year-and-a-half long program is all theory, but if I can't get the theory, then I can't do the later content.

What are some good study techniques? How can I absorb more of the lesson during class lectures? A lot of you guys have been involved in some sort of post-high school education. What were your methods for gaining logic on processes?

I hope XP Medical hurries up and ships my purchase. I could use a bit of stress relief...

Thanks guys.

One of the things I like to do to help me study is to re-type my notes. Not all of them though, just the parts that I'm struggling with. I either type them or write them out, depending if I'm at school or at home. By doing this, you slow down your thought process and it forces you to read what you're typing. This in turn...helps absorb the information!

As for helping to understand things during lecture...ask questions. Ask them because that's why the professor is being paid. To help you learn. So what if they get annoyed. just ask them if you don't understand something. Take good notes, but don't go writing paragraphs. It'll slow you down and you'll miss important information. Just stick to bullet points and small notes to help you remember what the lecture was about. Remember: If the professor spends over a minute or two talking about one subject, it's important. So write it down!
    First off the one thing that i want to say is don't get super concerned that you are only just passing when you are in university. The biggest difference in university and high school is that even the most intelligent person can fail university (trust me it happens). However, that being said if you are one of the people who aren't as fortunate to be able to breeze through the exams and nail them (I'm definitely one of these people that works hard and only just pass through my exams).

As for study techniques, i think a lot of it comes down to what you feel is the most effective way of doing things. I could tell you a lot about how to study but all of it might not work for you. However, i will still offer my suggestions and see if it helps you at all. First tip ... Get proper sleep. I know this doesn't sound like a study technique but pulling late nights all the time will actually make you less effective when you do study.

As for studying material, my advice is try drawing diagrams to summarise a section of work (which I'm sure you would be able to do). Doesn't matter if they aren't the Mona Lisa but as long as you understand what is going on, this is the best thing to do. And i would invest in a whiteboard for it that way once you have done it once, you can wipe it and do it again, refining your thought process. Then once you have a neatly summarised diagram, draw it out onto some paper and stick it on your wall (preferably somewhere that you look often). Once it is there, every time you see it, run through the whole process in your head (only looking on the diagram if you forget a step or two).

I take it that you would have several sessions for one subject (i.e. a lecture, a tutorial/session to work through problems/practical and then some kind of session to summarise what you have done for the week) Take note in all of them and at the end of the week, do a complete summary of the entire weeks content in a very condensed form (only bullet points here, diagrams to help explain the bullet points or a diagram that you have drawn yourself). Once you have the summaries done up, constantly revise over them (say set aside at least a whole day once in the week to revise over stuff you have already have done, focusing mostly on what you haven't remembered that well).

As for during the lectures, it can be a bit hard to get notes out. Perhaps recording the lecture (investing in a recorder or using your iPhone if you have one) so that way you can play things back if you get lost or want to follow something up that the lecturer has already said. However, it can also be a bit of a hassle to do this, i know that i tried it and it didn't work for me at all because i had no time to go back and listen to the whole thing again just to find the one point that i was looking for but you might find it useful. As far as taking notes during the lecture, i always make sure that i have the notes the lecturer is using printed out (that is if you are able to access them before the lecture) and i take notes on my laptop because that way i can type things up in a way that makes more sense to me (even if the point is in the lecture notes) and it makes me less likely to say "oh, the point is already there that covers it".

Like Catinthehat said, definitely ask questions if you feel that you need to. Even if you think that it might be stupid or something that he has already covered. I know it might seem intimidating asking it in front of your lecturer and 100 or so of your peers (i know asking questions with 200 people around me is very scary to me and this is my second year studying at university) but chances are there will be at least 20 - 30 others that will have the same question or even more. But, that being said, don't ask questions just for the sake of asking. If you feel that it need clarification, then by all means ask away, don't worry about it if you feel that you don't understand. But at the same time, if you find that the topic you are going over is fine and you don't have any problems, then it is a bit of a waste of your time and your lecturers (and this is when they get annoyed). Don't think for a second that I'm saying don't ask questions, but just think about what it is that you are asking for before you ask it. that way you can ask a question that is aimed at what you want, will be clear to the lecturer and should (at least in theory) get the answer you are looking for.
    Thanks a ton, you guys! I had another test today, and the tips you all gave me were great in helping me! I got 80% on my IS 111 test!! Thanks to you both
    glad i could help you out and congrats on the good mark too - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.