View RSS Feed

School's in less an 20 days..

Rate this Entry
I just turned 18 and I'm already a Sophomore in college. WHAT!? I've been the youngest person in my class for that past year. I skipped my senior year in high school to study at the community college. Now, I'm attending one of the best liberal arts colleges in the US.
My parents are proud.

I would be too except when I'm actually in class, everyone forgets that I'm just as smart, if not smarter, than them. They're always making sly remarks about my age. People avoid you and treat you like the "minor" you really are.

It's hilarious when the older people in class (over 35) get along better with you. They just GET IT. I guess that's just where my brain's at.

Hopefully it'll be easier to fit in this year.

what you do is find the biggest person in the class and kick them in the nuts, establish dominance..... Wait no thats prison

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcAwesome
    what you do is find the biggest person in the class and kick them in the nuts, establish dominance..... Wait no thats prison
    LOL! I just ignore them mostly..
    Intelligence does not necessarily = smart.
    I do not mean this as a cut to you, Cat, but book smarts do not instil wisdom. Only life experience will do that, and unfortunately a lot of people in their first two years of college "think" they have the world figured out and therefore do not know how to face an anomaly like you as it does not fit into their established understanding of age, maturity, and intelligence. They are still growing up. College will change your world views in its entirety multiple times.

Those people that are in their 30's by and large have their ontological views solidified and therefore are neither threatened nor impressed by you. They simply see you as their equal, trying to gain an education in the class for a common goal.

Were I you, I would focus on maintaining friendships with people your own age and not worry about college friends until graduate school.

I would reflect on this. Everyone thinks they know the roles of life. You by skipping ahead of altered their concept of roles.

The Seven Ages of Man by William Shakespeare
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players,
    They have their exits and entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
    Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
    Then, the whining schoolboy with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
    Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
    Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honour, sudden, and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation
    Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice
    In fair round belly, with good capon lin'd,
    With eyes severe, and beard of formal cut,
    Full of wise saws, and modern instances,
    And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
    Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose, and pouch on side,
    His youthful hose well sav'd, a world too wide,
    For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
    Turning again towards childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
    I had sorta the same problem. I am 21, but look younger then I am. So people in class would talk to me like I was a kid. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.