View RSS Feed

recovery

C = (m^e)%M

Rate this Entry
That's RSA in a nut shell. It's used in most of your day to day computing activities. Using adisc on https? It just performed that equation. Logged into facebook? Same. Used your bank card? Again, probably something similar in either your PC or the Cash machine talking to your bank. Public Key Infrastructure is a widely needed aspect in trusting foreign hosts are who they say they are. And not Malicious Marvin pretend to be Alice or Bob.

I've spent a pretty much all day yesterday looking more into it. Let no fool tell you it's unbreakable. I have read on a lot of maths and different attacks. However it may be breakable (along with many other encryption schemes), but they rely on the fact that's it's unfeasible to do so. That is, not even all the computers in the world cracking it, would crack it in a reasonable time frame. I think we have better things to do than wait for the sun to burn out.

But it's nice to see all the maths behind it, and the general proof of it. It's rather mysterious that you have a number, convert it into something else and only have one way to reverse it. It's like magic! Well, I do performances as a second job as a mathmagician, so always have room to learn new tricks.

Well, time to learn how to compute with large exponents, because my simple python line just dies trying to use a 5 figure exponent. Which isn't big at all. When you consider the RSA will be easily using 1000 figure ones. They don't have all day!

One thing I am finding are lots and lots of papers written in the 90s covering a number of attacks on many other technological systems. Such as TCP. I keep thinking, "You know, you could do X if Y occurred". It's nice that these have been covered, in more detail than I would of covered. Although there is one slight attack that went slightly beyond what I thought of, and has the potential to be a lot more destructive.

You can be forgiven if you believe I do computer science. I don't. I spend my time on studying other things in university. I just like to incorporate a computer into anything I can. I just need to go to my roots again, drawing pretty graphs in matlab. Oh the fun! What else to spend my time on?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ooooh mathsy stuff! Very good
    I like math, but my head hurt after the second paragraph. But that might be because i am extremely tired. I will read the rest later. After sleep.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.