View RSS Feed

Do you remember rock 'n' roll radio?

Rate this Entry
^ Ramones reference ^

Now, on to the blog.

I figured I'd start by saying that I'm a little confused. Now, music tastes are completely subjective, that is to say that what you prefer is your own personal opinion. But, I often get people who question my musical tastes and will blatantly put them down, saying thing's like : "The music you like sucks." or similar.

I don't quite understand though. I don't exactly listen to the normal music that everyone else in my area listen to. I hate the radio these days, it makes my head hurt and that's not just the pop channels. Even the rock channels are going downhill. But, one of the guys who puts down my music is all about the radio and that arena rock persona.

I tell people all of the different kinds of music I listen to and they make me feel like I'm a walking oxymoron. They're like " You listen to classical and metal? That doesn't make sense. My rebutle is usually "It makes perfect sense when you enjoy music for the substance and meaning."

So, I listen to pretty much everything besides Rap, techno and country. Oh, and certain pop (The newer stuff, I consider the beatles to be classic pop).

I still can't get over it though, people criticize me all the time because I really like punk music. Not the commercial punk acts like Blink182 (must admit though, I enjoy some Blink). I'm talking about bands like The Faction, 98 mute, propagandhi, lagwagon, etc.
But people always say to me : "This is music" then they proceed to flick on some stupid radio channel where some guy sings in a deep/ "manly" voice about a girl that he wishes he could have back in his life (she probably never existed). I really like punk music because I'm a very nostalgic individual and the 90's were a time when that music was what I heard around me. It reminds me of just being a kid and hanging out with my friends, my family. I'll always hold this music dear to me, It's been with me for so long.

So, why should I be hounded for being the odd man out in my area? Kind of a stupid rant, I know. But it's kind of weird.

I can relate to that! NOFX reminds me of the freedom of my first car.
    AHH! speaking of NOFX, I have a ticket sitting in my wallet right now, I'm Seeing them in June! - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.