View RSS Feed

Ronbeast

Well, I screwed up.

Rate this Entry
I managed to fuck up my first year of engineering and successfully turned 3 years of school into 4.

I managed to do this by failing one course, math. It was a prerequisite for my degree and I messed up royally. I needed that course in order to go into my technical intersession, I failed and therefore cannot continue until I redo the course. This means I will not be able to do my intersession until it is offered again...next may...

This school is starting to show it's true colors to me now. It appears that no matter how many courses you fail you are tossed in the same boat as everyone else who has something wrong. I know of one guy who failed 4 courses because he didn't study, he's in the same boat...

Well, fuck this night. I'll deal with it in the morning.

I'm going to go listen to some propagandhi and try to convince myself that I'm not as stupid as I think I am.

-Ron
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

"This school is starting to show it's true colors to me now." What does that mean?
    Failing courses is something that happens to most students, so you're far from alone. The best thing to do is to pick yourself up and try again. This really sucks, yes, but failing one class does not make you "stupid". You did pass all of the other ones, did you not?
    Any chance that the math course is offered as a summer course? Even if it's not offered at your university, is there maybe a community college that has a course that will transfer? How about an online course that will transfer?

I went to an engineering university, and a LOT of students would take courses (re-taking or just getting ahead) over the summer; all three of the above methods were common.

You might be in luck, because the early level math courses (pre-calc, calculus I or II?) are usually pretty common and widely offered (fall/spring/summer semesters). It may be easier than you think to work something out. Does your department have some sort of advisor, whose job it is to help students select classes? We had one in our department who knew the ropes pretty well, and she would help in situations such this. Seriously, don't just accept turning 3 years into 4 without finding out all of your options first.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat
    "This school is starting to show it's true colors to me now." What does that mean?
    What I meant by that comment is this: I failed a course, I worked my ass off for months just trying to make sure I could continue. In the end, I failed math. I needed a 2.0 gpa to be able to continue on with my program and on my official transcript I had a 1.936.
    I'm not trying to come off as some sniveling kid who is pissed off at the world, but for a school that claims to give students plenty of advantages and ways to make up for their mistakes, they kinda dropped the ball on this one.

The reason this pissed me off is the fact that there were plenty of other people who failed more courses than I did, but because the school is falling apart and has no way to offer these courses at different times in the year, I have no way to catch up. This is forcing me to move home to my parents house because I cannot afford to pay for rent for the next year. I'm redoing the math course right now, but it kind of makes me feel sad to see all of my good friends moving further up the ladder while I'm stuck in reverse for the next year.

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast
    The reason this pissed me off is the fact that there were plenty of other people who failed more courses than I did, but because the school is falling apart and has no way to offer these courses at different times in the year, I have no way to catch up.
    If course availability is really that bad, it may be time to find another school. If you ever fail a class again and are in a situation where that class is only offered once a year (or even once every other year) and it is a prerequisite, you may run into problems.

My department was quite good about having multiple class offerings and working out scheduling conflicts with students. It helped that my major was one of the larger ones in the school, so they were actually able to have multiple classes.

One of my good friends who went to the same school ended up having his 4 year degree extended into 6 because his major had considerably fewer people, and therefore fewer class offerings. He failed a couple classes, and it really set him back because of prerequisites and scheduling conflicts.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.