View RSS Feed

bambinod

accepting yourself

Rate this Entry
I just posted this in a thread, and I'm quite satisfied with it and would like to make the statement a part of my profile here. The thread was a discussion inviting users to share when they first "accepted themselves". Here is my reply:

I don't think there ever was a time I didn't "accept myself". I've always placed very little value in others' opinion of me. And although I do respect that others can persecute differences and so didn't flaunt my differences, I still wound up predictably something of an outcast / introvert. The only opinion of ME that matters, is MY opinion of me. I'm the only one I have to satisfy or meet the expectations of. And I have high standards, and not all of them are the common ones, and I really care less about some things that commonly are viewed as desirable. So that means I've got what a lot of others would consider "quirks" but I'm satisfied with who I am. I suppose I'd like to be a little more of a risk-taker, but that's really the only thing I can think of about myself that I'd like to change. And it's not because anyone else in the world thinks I need to change - it's what I believe that I need to improve in myself.

It's difficult to place yourself a distant 1st on your own list of people whose acceptance you strive for, but that's where I'm at, and I think it's a good place to put yourself. Somewhat related to Maslow. Ask yourself the important question: Why do you do what you do? (and I ask that without saying specifically what the "do" refers to, the question is deliberately general) There are so many possible answers to that question, and yet that single question defines us.

I do what I believe is the right thing to do. That's it, no more, no less. Doesn't mean I do whatever I want. What I want to do and what I believe is the right thing to do don't always agree, but I'm always true to myself. If that's not how you answer the question, I suggest giving it a try. If anything, it's a lot more straightforward to figure out what you can accept of yourself than what the rest of the world can accept of you, and it's a lot easier to satisfy one person than your entire community.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

All the power to you my friend. Better to be hated for what you are then loved for what you aren't.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.