View RSS Feed

Transmissions From Within A Cloud Of Absinthe

We all have crazy ideas....

Rate this Entry
Sometimes I get this strange urge to just completely check out for a while. Sell off everything I own, and go on some sort of crazy adventure. When I was in Highschool, I wanted to backpack through Europe and Asia, about 2 years ago, I wanted to work my way around the caribbean on a sail boat, now, I have this desire to walk across Australia, from Perth to Brisbane. As I get older, these ideas of mine are not only getting more outlandish, but the hold they have on me is getting stronger. I try to sate my wanderlust by going hiking and backpacking in the mountains where I live, but it doesn't have the same level of danger and spontaneity that I crave. I get the feeling that one day I'm actually going to go through with one of my ideas, and I have no idea if that would be good or bad. I'm currently involved in a four year commitment, so there is very little danger of me running off to Kenya(an idea from last summer), but when I graduate, who knows, I may do something crazy.

I feel like going on an adventure every once in a while, though it's usually just a little adventure or something completely in the realm of fantasy. And I guess I don't really get out much... a whole ton more often during the summer than winter though. Winter kinda sucks.
    Ce qui!!! How can you hate winter!?!? Winter is the best time for crazy adventures. You climb to the top of some craggy rock strewn peak, ski back down, then spend the rest of the day in front of a nice warm fire. Preferably with some wassail and snuggle partner or two.
    Well, if you get technical English is part of the Germanic language family... and personally, I've always preferred the term wanderjahr for these crazy ideas of mine.

And just what is wrong with spending the rest of my life in the Australian bush, fighting off dingos for a few rancid strips of kangaroo?
    Just because you're in college for 4 years doesn't mean you can't go on an adventure.

You have months long summer holidays, and all sorts of awesome charity projects you could be getting involved in at the same time!

Make the most of it!
    I was more referring to buying a one-way ticket to another continent and trying to hitch-hike back. A very bad idea while in school. As for school related adventures, that's the reason that I chose this particular school, the Geology dept. makes regular trips to Mali and Nepal.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language, is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

James D. Nicoll

Nothing wrong with travel. I got most of my wanderlust out during my gap year, but there are still times when hiking the length of the Atlas mountains or something similiar appeals...
    did you actually end up going backpacking across europe and asia after high school? it sounds like the desire to go on some crazy adventure is just building and building, and you should probably try to go on one as soon as possible, before your ideas get so crazy that they'd actually be dangerous.
    The closest I've come so far was 15 days traveling around Ireland, that sated my desires for a while, but they came back with a vengeance.
    Zedd: I typed something, but it was really long, so I'm going to turn it into a blog entry of its own.
    Well, IIRC this one dude sold off everything he owned and bought a Lamborghini Gallardo, drove coast to coast and gathered 94K miles. Right after his wife broke up with him, so to say he lived on the road. Too bad the Lambo is broken. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.