View RSS Feed

recovery

Mathmatics

Rate this Entry

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
Oh another thing I reminded myself on.

Your a true geek if you find this even remotely funny.

I found it quite amusing.

Another joke. There are two cats on the roof. Which one falls off first? - the one with the smallest mu!
I was looking back at a few of my old posts. And this one I found a little amusing. Sad cat joke I know. But I still love it. I used to be so energetic about maths while I was studying it in college. Then again. I had 10 hours teaching on it a week, and another 20 or so outside that. Along With physics I was taking, that had maths too.

Although I felt a little out-nerded by other members posting in the topic. I am just a little sad that now i am in my third year of Uni, that I have got away with little maths learnt from college. The most I do is using transform functions beyond your typical calculus.

These days I don't do much maths, an hour a week if you're lucky! Most of the time I thinking how general systems plug together and operate logically. As well as designing systems to be robust and scalable. Scalability is a big factor when designing software as I don't know quite where it will be implemented and what for. So it takes a lot of thought and logical and general skill to bring complex systems in simplified view.

I still enjoy that, much I certainly miss my maths Although generally my field of work won't revolve around playing with maths a lot. But mostly reading books and generating or implementing algos/maths they have printed in them. A lot of hard work and research has gone into that stuff.

I also enjoyed yesterdays event. It reinforced more what I had read up on. And gave me a much better understanding how to observe and apply certain actions/behaviors. Learnt a fair bit!

On the side note, you may notice a 1-2% drop in people in the IRC. I am not there. Not like you can notice the SNR or deviation is too high to really notice such a small change. The reason behind it is simple, I don't really talk much in the main channel. I only keep an eye out for new commers and other members I am friendly with, which these days isn't many compared to the 40 or so other idlers there I don't ever recall talking to at all. Nothing personal, just think I can better utilise my time than catching up on the IRC, or just not to have to ignore it all the time.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Interestingly, I'm reading this while revising for my maths exam, involving imaginary numbers, and after doing another involving friction, Go me. Also radians.

But yeah, I know what you mean about missing maths, I'm 3/4 of the way through my A levels, and already miss the things I leant in previous topics. It seems kinda sad.
    I did maths and further maths at A level, polar cordinates/imaginary numbers are used a lot in Engineer as "a mathmatical convience". Makes some calculations easier. Thanks Euler!
    I love maths jokes ^_^ have these 3 on me

x^2 and e^x go to a party, x^2 is having a fab time, dancing and having fun, whereas e^x is looking really depressed, sat in a corner alone not talking to anyone.
    x^2 walks up to him and says "come on e^x, cheer up, why don't you come and differetiate with us?"
    to which e^x replies "there's no point, it wouldn't make any difference"

Person 1: What's the integral of 1/cabin?
    Person 2: A log cabin.
    Person 1: No, a houseboat - you forgot to add the c!

A function and a differentiation operator meet somewhere in Hilbert space.
    The differentation operator: Make place or I differentiate you.
    Function: Forget it buster, I am e^x.
    The differentation operator: Well, I am d/dy
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.