View RSS Feed

Tales of a Forgotten God

Adventures in Flash programming

Rate this Entry
(A blog that's not about writing? Say it isn't so!) was my first day of Advanced Computer Projects at school, and I'm thus far in the planning stages of what it is exactly that I want to do. This course, unlike the three courses I've taken before in learning how to code and program a computer to do what I want it to without smacking it around, involves a realistic setting, with no supervisor (i.e. teacher), no knowledge as to how the programming language works, and only myself and the rest of the class to turn to for help.

While Microsoft Visual Basic is the general choice for those in Computer Projects, I'm choosing to work with the trial version of Adobe Flash CS3 Professional (as if I could afford the real thing), since I have a choice as to what language I program in for this course.

So now, I'd like some help, I suppose. I don't know the first thing about Flash, therefore I need to possibly find a tutorial for it online, and I don't know if the project I have in mind will be best suited for it or not. I was planning on making a strategy game akin to Fire Emblem with customizable equipment and s**t like that, but is it practical to use Flash for that sort of a thing? And where could I possibly seek advice for manipulating and bending Flash to my will? And does the trial version of Adobe Flash wear out eventually, or does it come without certain features, or what? Is there something I should know before downloading it?

So many questions I have to find answers for...

I've already given you a tutorial, but making a game like Fire Emblem would be REALLY long and hard, I'm sure of it.
    I've been informed by someone who has dabbled in Flash that it's doable. But you're right: it probably [i]is[/i] hard. Putting together landscapes and such isn't going to be a big deal now that I understand clearly how layers work. The [i]real[/i] trouble is the coding behind it that will enable players to control units. Not only that, but artificial intelligence is an issue, else I should aim for artificial stupidity in its place.

In short, I realize that the mechanics behind it are...difficult. - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.