View RSS Feed

Dash

Random question about bats.

Rate this Entry
Really random thought... but I'm sitting here just now, and I think there are bats flying around outside. I make this assumption because I can't think of anything that shrieks so highly pitched and so loudly at 3am... but then I always thought bats emitted sound waves above the threshold of human hearing?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

They probably are bats...Or some bird...I'm not sure on the whole sound wave threshold thing...Maybe you just have a better threshold than other people?
    Most bat echolocation occurs beyond the range of human hearing. Humans can hear from 20 Hz to 15-20 kHz depending on age. Bat calls can range from 9 kHz to to 200 kHz.

Some bat sounds humans can hear. The squeaks and squawks that bats make in their roosts or which occur between females and their pups can be detected by human ears, but these noises aren't considered to be echolocation sounds.
    Could be a Screech Owl. We have those down here, and they are LOUD at night sometimes.. I've had to go outside and discharge my gun to make the owls shut up.
    Could be a bat but thats unlikely unless your area has a lot of places like chimineys or rockey hills with large holes for them to nest in.
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.