View RSS Feed

Diapered Rabbit

New Musical Instruments!

Rate this Entry
This late spring, summer and early fall have been good to me in terms of craigslists finds on musical instruments.

I own a number of Guitar and Bass amplifiers, but as far as modeling hybrid amps go, my favorite is my 60 watt tube hybrid Vox AD60VT. While searching on-line for parts to build a custom Black Telecaster in 2001, I found a Music Store that offered me a tremendous deal on my amp. (I wasn't shopping for a new amp, but at that time I only had a used Yamaha 212 solid state amp that was marginal at best). I bought the Vox from a Music Store Victor Litz Music in Gaithersburg, MD. They sold it to me for less than $500 and shipped across the entire United States for free. At that time the other on-line music stores were selling this amp for $800+ and shipping (expensive) was $75 across country.

Vox made a VC-4 foot pedal that retailed for over $180 and I wanted to get one in the worst way, but I could not bear paying the full price.

Less than 2 years later Vox came up with another pedal, the VC-12, that had double the features, tripled the number of user presets that you could program and allowed you to control TWO Vox AD (AD60VT, AD120VT, AD60VTX, AD120VTX, Vox ToneLab ) hybrid tube amplifiers simultaneously. This was now much more than an obsession; I lusted for this new pedal! These pedals had a street price of $280, and even though these amps are no longer built by Vox the VC-12 pedal is still being marketed with 0% reduction in price! (These amps were discontinued in 2007 by Vox because they were so expensive to build. They were replaced by the current VT series.

So I have been looking on ebay and more recently on craigslist across the northwest to find a reasonably priced Vox VC-12 foot pedal, for the last 9 years.

This spring I hit more than pay-dirt! On Seattle craigslist, I foung a young year old woman that had a Vox AD60VTX AND a Vox VC-12 foot pedal for $375. ($375-$280 for the VC-12 = only $95 for another AD60VTX amp. I had my son pick it up for me and hold it for me at his house. I picked it up when I went up to Washington State for his wedding. Score, Score, Score! Now when I play my Gibson ES 135 through this Vox pedal, I can play through two different amps at the same time (Stereo) with completely different settings and effects on each amp. It is a total kick!

This summer I wanted to find a vintage tenor banjo (tuned like an octave mandolin in fifths) to play Irish and Celtic music on. The end of July, I bought a Vintage Rydal Tenor Banjo (c1928) with case for $201 from an ebay auction.

At the end of August, I bought a Fender Squire mini Strat ($58, on ebay) to convert to an 8 string octave electric mandolin.

Yesterday, I purchased a Yamaha WX11 Midi Wind Controller (Think digital Saxophone) with the Yamaha BT7 WX Midi/Power Pack and the original owners manuals and boxes for $100. I already own a Yamaha Midi Foot Controller MFC2, that I got at a music swap meet 7 years ago, that was designed for the WX wind controllers that works perfectly. At present, I have for several instruments/sources for midi tone generators: Yamaha QY70 sequencer, a vintage Roland D550 Sound module, a vintage Yamaha V50 Digital Synthesizer and Casio Digital Keyboard and a Williams Sonata 88 Digital Piano. These all work as midi tone generators, although the QY 70 is probably the most versatile and portable.

Up to this point I've been using a Midi Casio MH100 Horn through this set up( i've been looking for a WX Midi Wind controller for 9 years. The WX11 and BT7 power pack usually sell on bay for $400+ if you can find one! Needless to say, I am so stoked, I could just squawk!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.